Type keyword(s) to search

Naomi Osaka - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What does it feel like to be one of the best tennis players in the world? An intimate look inside the life of one of the most gifted and complex athletes of her generation offers insight into the tough decisions and ecstatic triumphs that shape Naomi Osaka as both an elite global superstar and a young woman navigating a pressure-filled world.

On Netflix, launching July 13, 2021.

• Love 1

Just watched the first episode and I don't know... I feel like Naomi's story is so compelling but I'm not sure if this is adequately capturing that.  There were so many shots where it was hard to hear Naomi over the background noise (including "quiet" shots, not just the tennis matches).  But maybe that was intentional? To emphasize how lonely her world can be?

That being said, I think I'll still watch the next two episodes.

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 7/19/2021 at 2:29 AM, zenithwit said:

Just watched the first episode and I don't know... I feel like Naomi's story is so compelling but I'm not sure if this is adequately capturing that.  There were so many shots where it was hard to hear Naomi over the background noise (including "quiet" shots, not just the tennis matches).  But maybe that was intentional? To emphasize how lonely her world can be?

I had a hard time hearing everyone especially Naomi. Hopefully, the next two episodes won’t have the same issue. 

So far this doesn’t seem as compelling as Formula 1:Drive to Survive but I will watch all three episodes.

Edited by woodstock
Grammar is important

I watched the next two episodes and they were a tad better but I was still underwhelmed. It just seemed like a lot of behind the scenes videos of Naomi, her family and her team but it lacked focus. I'm still not sure what the series was trying to convey. One interesting tidbit was her mentor/mentee relationship with Kobe Bryant.

I watch a lot of tennis and root for Naomi. However, I am not feeling this docuseries. As others have mentioned, she has such a soft voice that it’s difficult to hear her. And I never had any doubts that everyone in the public eye has varying degrees of pressure and sacrifice. So although I’m two episodes in and will watch the third tomorrow, I have not learned anything new about Naomi. Frankly, I have a growing sense of discomfort in watching all this behind the scenes stuff.  That birthday party scene was intrusive to me. She and her sister were cute together in episode 2 but she needs an emotional support dog or something besides tennis to give her joy and affection. Thankfully, it looks as though she has a decent relationship with her folks and BF. I was worried for her emotional and mental state before the Olympics because I could only imagine the pressure she would be feeling, but the girl is steamrolling her opponents so far. I am happy for that! 

I have to also mention a major pet peeve of mine that so many people of all ages do—-the conversational crutch of using “like” all the freaking time! It adds nothing to the point of the sentence and is an ineffective piece of verbal crabgrass (to borrow a term from Toastmasters.) It has quickly overtaken “you know” as #1 in my pet peeve list. 

• Love 2

I guess the pressure did get to Naomi after all. I can’t imagine dealing with the stress and high expectations that today’s premiere athletes face given the immediacy and criticism on social media and news reporting. Apparently it has gotten the better of darling Simone Biles, too. It would be so difficult to have a “I’m just going to have fun” attitude.