Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Show Us Your Face

• Start Topic

The victims of the Golden State Killer seek closure following the recent sentencing. Plus, one final boots-on-the-ground investigation brings shocking new revelations to light in the case that inspired Michelle McNamara's fascination with unsolved crimes: the murder of Kathy Lombardo.

Follow up to the series airing Monday, June 21, 2021.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm very glad that they decided to add this final episode to the series so that we could see the killer actually sentenced to multiple lifetimes in prison, thus ensuring that he will never be let out.  I'm sure some people would have preferred that he be sentenced to death but I agree with the person in the documentary who said that a death sentence would have been appealed and the surviving victims really wanted closure now.

I also loved that there was a camera in his cell showing that his pretense of being frail and needing a wheelchair at his sentencing hearing was all an act. (He climbs around the cell putting tape or something on one of the lights to make the ambience more to his liking.)

I'm also glad they added this episode because the previous "final" episode was awful.  I could NOT believe they decided to include interviews in that episode with the killer's siblings, who appeared to defend him and who seemed to try to blame his rape-and-murder spree on their having had a bad father.

It was interesting that they revisited the murder that had originally sparked Michelle's fascination with true crime and they reported on another attack in the same area around the same time.  (Those houses in Oak Park are gorgeous but I'm glad I didn't grow up in an area that has alleys behind the houses because they look decidedly unsafe.) It was interesting too that the Oak Park Police Dept is claiming that the investigation of those decades-old crimes is "ongoing" and therefore they would not respond to the filmmakers questions about them.  If Michelle were still alive I wonder if she could have used her fame from this show (or just the dogged determinations she exhibited in the Golden State Killer case) to get the Oak Park Police to cooperate in a renewed examination of those cases.  Perhaps the people who worked with her on the Golden State Killer case will continue to pursue the Oak Park cases in her absence (and in her honor); but somehow I doubt that lighting will strike twice.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5

I don't exactly think this episode was necessary for us as viewers, but it was very satisfying seeing the victims get closure.

Watching the video from his cell and then seeing his "performance" during his court appearances was INFURIATING. I hope he lives for a long, long time. 

• Love 4
On 6/23/2021 at 1:58 PM, WatchrTina said:

I'm very glad that they decided to add this final episode to the series so that we could see the killer actually sentenced to multiple lifetimes in prison, thus ensuring that he will never be let out.  I'm sure some people would have preferred that he be sentenced to death but I agree with the person in the documentary who said that a death sentence would have been appealed and the surviving victims really wanted closure now.

I also loved that there was a camera in his cell showing that his pretense of being frail and needing a wheelchair at his sentencing hearing was all an act. (He climbs around the cell putting tape or something on one of the lights to make the ambience more to his liking.)

I'm also glad they added this episode because the previous "final" episode was awful.  I could NOT believe they decided to include interviews in that episode with the killer's siblings, who appeared to defend him and who seemed to try to blame his rape-and-murder spree on their having had a bad father.

It was interesting that they revisited the murder that had originally sparked Michelle's fascination with true crime and they reported on another attack in the same area around the same time.  (Those houses in Oak Park are gorgeous but I'm glad I didn't grow up in an area that has alleys behind the houses because they look decidedly unsafe.) It was interesting too that the Oak Park Police Dept is claiming that the investigation of those decades-old crimes is "ongoing" and therefore they would not respond to the filmmakers questions about them.  If Michelle were still alive I wonder if she could have used her fame from this show (or just the dogged determinations she exhibited in the Golden State Killer case) to get the Oak Park Police to cooperate in a renewed examination of those cases.  Perhaps the people who worked with her on the Golden State Killer case will continue to pursue the Oak Park cases in her absence (and in her honor); but somehow I doubt that lighting will strike twice.

Your comment about “alleys” behind houses might not be true everywhere but when hubby and I first married we lived in one house with an alley out back for 3 yrs and we’ve never had as much shit happen around our house as at that house, when we left we both said “never again!” to living in a house with an alley behind…. And it wasn’t considered a bad end of town or a bad neighborhood but the houses with alleys in back had a lot of problems.

As I said I’m not condemning everyone with an alley house, I’m sure some are fine but our experience was horrible the entire time we lived there.

• Love 4