Cast has been revealed.

Ian Thorpe (swimmer)

Dilruk Jayasinha (comedian)

Matt Le Nevez (actor)

Archie Thompson (soccer player)

Nick Riewoldt (AFL player)

Rebecca Gibney (actress)

Dami Im (X-Factor winner and Eurovision runner-up

Chrissie Swan (Big Brother and I'm a Celebrity runner-up and TV/radio presenter)

Collette Dinnigan (fashion designer)

Tilly Ramsay (Gordon's daughter)

Gut feeling is the winner is going to depend on how much they want to play nice with Gordon, but aside from that it's probably Chrissie's to lose.

I'm amazed it's taken until now for some of these people to do a reality show. Like Rebecca was on Seven at the peak of Dancing with the Stars and never got tapped to do it? Have no reality shows been trying to get Ian before now?

• Useful 1

I usually really hate the "you on a plate" challenge because everyone tries too hard and I wind up thinking they're wankers, but this group doing it was... kind of fun?

Also Chrissie is a national treasure and I will not hear otherwise.

Of all the beautiful dishes served up, why am I not surprised the judges picked the one that looked like dog vomit to win the pin?  They never disappoint in choosing the most unappetizing looking dishes.  They do know the viewing audience can only judge on sight, right?  

I realize they are not going to hold the celebrity contestants to the same standard as regular contestants, but Rebecca using white bread in both her dishes that she didn't make and nothing being said about it (that we saw) was a bit annoying.  Also, does anyone believe that Matt, who was going to use store bought tortillas for his tacos, actually produced a stack of perfect looking tortillas, that he made himself, in the last 8 minutes?  I was glad that Andy told him he should make his own, but I have my doubts that he actually did.  I could be expecting too much to think that all of the celebrities will take the cooking part seriously.  After watching the Celebrity Masterchef UK, this was a bit of a letdown.

Just a heads up: That extended preview at the start of the first episode spoils at least the first elimination, and probably the second and third as well.

If anyone is wondering more specifically (direct spoiler for Sunday and indirect spoilers for the next couple of weeks): 

Spoiler

There's a crowd shot of everyone except Chrissie, Dami, and Matt reacting to the Heston Blumenthal video. Dami is shown looking at a Massimo Bottura pressure test and Matt is seen reacting to the news of a service challenge at a winery, when we now know from the preview that Sunday's elimination involves Gordon Ramsay. So Chrissie is first boot, then either Dami and Matt are the next two and Heston is in week 4, or one of them is second boot, Heston is the week 3 elimination, and whichever one of them isn't eliminated has immunity.

22 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

Well, that was disappointing. No real way to win with that bottom two.

Totally.  I'm not quite caught up with all the episodes as I had to go out tonight but I was crushed to see Chrissie go first.  She's absolutely a national treasure and one of THE most likeable people you could ever come across and she took all of her various kitchen disasters in such good heart.  And Thorpey was so sweet to her after her elimination.  

Dilruk really didn't need to play that pin as it turns out but I can totally see why he did.

Bit quiet on this thread! I just came here to say that for such a fast swimmer, Thorpey is one of the slowest veggie choppers I've seen on Masterchef.  I would say of the work in that teams challenge, he did about 20% to Tilly's 80%!

I thought Nick and Rebecca deserved to win the challenge but a part of me hoped that the Navy team would win because Matthew Le Nevez... sigh...

Matt.jpg

• Love 1
(edited)

Even with the amazing cast, this season kind of isn't grabbing me because it's falling into the same traps as the civilian season now, where instead of being creative with the challenges and keeping them on their toes naturally it's just "how will a new batch of contestants handle yet another version of this Masterchef challenge that people liked that one time? And how about THIS challenge? But what about THIS bullshit twist?" Especially given part of the fun of this season in particular is that they AREN'T looking for someone who wants to work in the industry, they really should be getting quirkier with the challenges instead of sticking to restaurant-style challenges and the usual gimmicks. This is the perfect season for a Lockdown Baking™-inspired bread challenge, for example, and based on the three weeks so far I don't hold enough faith in the current producers for them to even have that small level of creativity.

Edited by SnideAsides
  • Love 1

Christ, ANOTHER extended preview? Here goes with the spoilers:

Spoiler

There's three crowd shots associated with challenges we know aren't tomorrow night. So here's the best guess:

Tomorrow: Heston "use your kid photos as inspiration" challenge. Based on other information, either Archie or Nick wins immunity.

Sunday November 7: The "every fifteen minutes, we reveal another pantry of ingredients" challenge. Ian is eliminated, six players remain.

Monday November 8: "Cook Along With Jock". White aprons are visible and everyone except Ian is present.

Sunday November 14: Elimination (black aprons) service challenge at Vue de Monde. Archie, Dilruk, Collette, and especially Nick are seen here, as is a blonde in a pink shirt that's either Tilly or Rebecca, so whichever one it isn't won the Jock challenge and is immune.

After that all we know is there's a Martin Benn pressure test but I have no clue on the timing - Mel's in a gown and Andy's in a black suit which suggests the final, but so is Jock when he usually wears his kilt.

• Love 1
On 10/31/2021 at 7:47 AM, SnideAsides said:

Christ, ANOTHER extended preview? Here goes with the spoilers:

Hide contents

There's three crowd shots associated with challenges we know aren't tomorrow night. So here's the best guess:

Tomorrow: Heston "use your kid photos as inspiration" challenge. Based on other information, either Archie or Nick wins immunity.

Sunday November 7: The "every fifteen minutes, we reveal another pantry of ingredients" challenge. Ian is eliminated, six players remain.

Monday November 8: "Cook Along With Jock". White aprons are visible and everyone except Ian is present.

Sunday November 14: Elimination (black aprons) service challenge at Vue de Monde. Archie, Dilruk, Collette, and especially Nick are seen here, as is a blonde in a pink shirt that's either Tilly or Rebecca, so whichever one it isn't won the Jock challenge and is immune.

After that all we know is there's a Martin Benn pressure test but I have no clue on the timing - Mel's in a gown and Andy's in a black suit which suggests the final, but so is Jock when he usually wears his kilt.

I froze the group shots, too, and came to the same conclusions you did.  The pink shirt you mention is definitely Tilly, you can see her long straight blonde hair in a ponytail in the mirror.  After Thorpey's poor performance at the whiskey distillery challenge (come ON, who takes two hours to chop potatoes for two dozen people?  Especially when he didn't even peel them!!) and his irritating begging to try to get immunity from the judges, I'll be happy when he's gone.  Next on my 'hit list' would be Rebecca after she decided to change up the team challenge dish.  Karma does come around, it just takes a little time sometimes. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I think this season is too hard to get engrossed in because it's only two shows a week.  Being from the US and not knowing any of these people (aside from Tilly) or their careers, it takes me half an episode just to remember everyone's names and what they've done previously.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:09 AM, SnideAsides said:

Even with the amazing cast, this season kind of isn't grabbing me because it's falling into the same traps as the civilian season now, where instead of being creative with the challenges and keeping them on their toes naturally it's just "how will a new batch of contestants handle yet another version of this Masterchef challenge that people liked that one time? And how about THIS challenge? But what about THIS bullshit twist?" Especially given part of the fun of this season in particular is that they AREN'T looking for someone who wants to work in the industry, they really should be getting quirkier with the challenges instead of sticking to restaurant-style challenges and the usual gimmicks. This is the perfect season for a Lockdown Baking™-inspired bread challenge, for example, and based on the three weeks so far I don't hold enough faith in the current producers for them to even have that small level of creativity.

They can't do a 'Lockdown Baking™-inspired bread challenge' for this group, half of them use plain white bread from the pantry!  🤣

• LOL 1
On 11/2/2021 at 10:43 AM, babs1226 said:

It was Collette who changed the dish from the back of the line.

Technically, it was Collette fretting over the fact that she didn't understand Thorpy's chicken dish and Rebecca was the one who came up with the idea of changing it to her version.  So... I'll change my statement to "Next on my 'hit list' would be Rebecca and Collette after they decided to change up the team challenge dish."

• Love 2

Jeez, Thorpey's lucky he got sent home last episode.  In that keeping up with Jock challenge, I'd estimate at the speed he worked, he might have managed to get the stock into the pressure cooked in that time frame, and that's presuming about 10 minutes to julienne each vegetable.

• Love 1