Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Ready or Not

• Start Topic

When Spencer's quarterback must miss the game against Westlake, Spencer puts extra pressure on himself and his young teammates because of what is at stake. Laura must deal with a new wrinkle at work that involves Olivia leaving Laura with a tough decision.

Airdate: 06/14/2021

I thought this was a really good episode, though of course they have to put in something at the end to throw me off!  I was like, "Oh no, someone's going to shoot Preach!"  Then when it was a little girl, my brain was confused for a second and was like, "Wait, is that little girl going to shoot Preach?" before she made her revelation.  It would be nice if this was completely separate from the Mo mess, but I'm sure there's no chance of that.  Mo will probably use the child (whether she is actually Preach's daughter or not) to manipulate him so that she can trick him into signing over Coop's money.

I figured South Crenshaw had to win or it would have been kind of pointless to revive their season.  I wonder if they always intended for Chris to be absent or if this was a clever way to handle lack of availability of the actor.  It's funny that even though so few players have recurring roles/speaking parts, several of them disappear from various episodes (like the absence of the actress playing the female kicker, so they filmed the extra point so that you couldn't really see the kicker).  The storyline of everyone feeling pressured by Spencer ties in well with the episode with the protest (where they probably shared his feelings but may not have felt like they had a choice anyway).  I liked his rapport with the guy from Toledo State (or whatever the latest fake college was called), but I wasn't sure about his reaction at the end.  Like he likes the guy and was grateful for the scholarship offer, but it's not exactly his dream school.

Even though she differs with Laura on some things, I'm glad Jaclyn Smith is playing a character who seems pretty nice, as I really liked her as Kelly Garrett and in my favorite cheesy old Christmas movie, The Night They Saved Christmas.  She's right that there's no way they could have pursued charges against Olivia without a major, major backlash.  I wonder what Laura will do now.  It was funny when Jaclyn's character mortified her with the sex comment when talking to her about Billy.  It's nice that there were a few funny moments to contrast with the very sad ones like G.W. talking about Billy's mom and Flashback Shawn joking that he still wanted to be alive at 18, then wishing for he and his brother to go to USC.  I liked Flashback Coop's enthusiasm when strippers were mentioned, and Preach fearing that Layla would try to make Coop wear a tiara.  But Layla still needs to watch some old 90210 episodes and be wary of her recently released roommate.  I don't think they would go that far and make a mockery of those with mental illness though, because that would go against what they have shown with Layla.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

It's nice that there were a few funny moments to contrast with the very sad ones like G.W. talking about Billy's mom and Flashback Shawn joking that he still wanted to be alive at 18, then wishing for he and his brother to go to USC.  I liked Flashback Coop's enthusiasm when strippers were mentioned, and Preach fearing that Layla would try to make Coop wear a tiara.  

Go back and check out Flashback Shawn's face when Coop made that comment about the strippers--it was subtle, but hilarious.

• Love 1