Type keyword(s) to search

Kung Fu: Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

Episode 2 synopsis:

"Silence" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

FINDING THE QUIET WITHIN - When adjusting to life back at home doesn't go as planned, Nicky (Olivia Liang) turns to Henry (Eddie Liu) for help in her hunt for Zhilan (guest star Yvonne Chapman). Meanwhile, as Jin (Tzi Ma) looks forward to life getting back to normal, Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) isn't as optimistic. Finally, after lending a hand to a young woman in need, Nicky finds the mental clarity she desperately needs. Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida, Gavin Stenhouse and Vanessa Kai also star.

Hanelle Culpepper directed the episode written by Christina M. Kim & Robert Berens (#102). Original airdate 4/14/2021.

---

While the pilot sets up the premise and characters, the second episode usually sets up what the show will be like week to week, so I'm excited to see this one too!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/28/2021 at 9:43 AM, Trini said:

While the pilot sets up the premise and characters, the second episode usually sets up what the show will be like week to week, so I'm excited to see this one too!

Oh, I hope that's the case! I read some mixed reactions to the first episode who had early access - some more critical than others. Cast seems interesting. They also have a good fight choreographer too.

Edited by Testing

Episode 3 synopsis:

"Patience" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

EARNING FORGIVENESS - Nicky (Olivia Liang) and Henry (Eddie Liu) follow a lead involving a professor who may be able to help in their search for Zhilan (guest star Yvonne Chapman). Meanwhile, as Althea's (Shannon Dang) past comes back to haunt her, a squabble between Jin (Tzi Ma) and Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) points to bigger issues in their marriage. Elsewhere, Nicky steps in to help a young worker after learning of some suspicious activity happening at King Kwong's garment factory. Jon Prasida and Gavin Stenhouse also star.

Joe Menendez directed the episode written by Richard Lowe (#103). Original airdate 4/21/2021.

Episode 4 synopsis:

"Hand" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DV) (HDTV)

KNOWING YOUR WORTH - As Nicky (Olivia Liang) and Henry (Eddie Liu) follow a new lead that brings them to a private collector in Napa, a tension-filled dinner with the Soong's leaves Althea (Shannon Dang) to question her worth. Elsewhere, Evan's (Gavin Stenhouse) suspicions about Henry continue to grow. Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Jon Prasida and Tony Chung also star.

America Young directed the episode written by Kathryn Borel Jr. (#104). Original airdate 4/28/2021.

Episode 5 synopsis:

"Sanctuary" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, D) (HDTV)

SEEKING JUSTICE - An officer-involved shooting in Chinatown sends shockwaves through the community. Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) and Jin (Tzi Ma) are forced to revisit a traumatic experience from their past. Nicky (Olivia Liang) and Henry (Eddie Liu) make a startling discovery about the weapons. Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida and Gavin Stenhouse also star.

R.T. Thorne directed the episode written by A.C. Allen (#105). Original airdate 5/5/2021.

Episode 6 synopsis:

"Rage" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

JUSTICE AND REVENGE - When the retrieval of a weapon doesn't go as planned, Nicky (Olivia Liang) takes matters into her own hands. Elsewhere, Jin (Tzi Ma) takes Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) on a surprise date and Althea (Shannon Dang) finds herself faced with an ultimatum. Jon Prasida, Eddie Liu, Gavin Stenhouse and Vanessa Kai also star.

Joe Menendez directed the episode written by Lillian Yu (#106). Original airdate 5/12/2021.

Episode 7 synopsis:

"Guidance" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

FLASHBACKS TO ZHILAN'S PAST - After learning some devastating news about Pei-Ling (Vanessa Kai), Nicky (Olivia Liang) attempts to keep herself distracted by offering to help a young woman in need. Elsewhere, Zhilan (guest star Yvonne Chapman) confronts her past, and Mei-Lei (Kheng Hua Tan) makes a startling confession.

Tzi Ma, Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida, Eddie Liu and Gavin Stenhouse also star.

Michael Goi directed the episode written by Ryan Johnson & Peter Lalayanis (#107). Original airdate 5/26/2021.

Episode 8 synopsis:

"Destiny" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DV) (HDTV)

SECRETS - Nicky (Olivia Liang) and the Shens deal with the fallout after a family secret comes to light. Althea (Shannon Dang) prepares for her bachelorette party.

Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Jon Prasida, Eddie Liu, Gavin Stenhouse, Vanessa Kai and Tony Chung also star.

Dan Liu directed the episode written by Melissa Rundle (#108). Original airdate 6/2/2021.

First episode back from hiatus: Episode 9 synopsis:

"Isolation" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

ROAD TRIP - To learn more about her family history, Nicky (Olivia Liang) follows a lead that brings her, Henry (Eddie Liu) and Evan (Gavin Stenhouse) to a quiet town in Canada.

Zhilan (guest star Yvonne Chapman) joins forces with Kerwin Tan (guest star Ludi Lin), and Jin (Tzi Ma) and Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) find themselves at a crossroads.

Jon Prasida, Vanessa Kai and Tony Chung also star.

Geoff Shotz directed the episode written by Dan Hamamura (#109). Original airdate 6/23/2021.

---

The 'love' triangle is going on a trip together? I feel annoyed already. Let me guess; either Evan and his girlfriend have already broken up by then, or they will by the end of this episode.

Episode 10 synopsis:

"Choice" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DV) (HDTV)

CHANGES - Nicky (Olivia Liang) offers to help Evan (Gavin Stenhouse) when the case he's working on takes a turn. Ryan (Jon Prasida) decides to officially introduce Joe (guest star Bradley Gibson) as his boyfriend to his parents. Zhilan (guest star Yvonne Chapman) and Kerwin (guest star Ludi Lin) receive a surprise visitor.

Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Shannon Dang, Eddie Liu and Tony Chung also star.

Richard Speight, Jr directed the episode written by Linda Ge & John Bring (#110). Original airdate 6/30/2021.

(edited)

So are they now alternating episodes with Evan and Henry taking turns sharing the story with Nicky?...

Kung Fu - Episode 1.11 - Attachment - Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at June 21, 2021
https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/06/kung-fu-episode-111-attachment-press.html 

Attachment
(All New!, HD, TV-PG, DV)

NICKY AND HENRY HEAD TO VEGAS — Nicky (Olivia Liang) and Henry (Eddie Liu) follow a lead that brings them to a K-pop concert in Las Vegas…and on a collision course with Zhilan (guest star Yvonne Chapman) and Kerwin (guest star Ludi Lin). Elsewhere, Jin (Tzi Ma) and Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) make a major decision about the restaurant. Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida and Vanessa Kai also star. Viet Nguyen directed the episode written by Michael Deigh & Richard Lowe (#111). Original airdate 7/7/2021.

Edited by tv echo

Episode 12 synopsis:

"Sacrifice" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

THE SEARCH FOR THE FORGE - With time running out, Nicky (Olivia Liang) and Henry (Eddie Liu) work to translate a cryptic map that could lead them to the Forge.

Meanwhile, Althea (Shannon Dang) and the family prepare for Po Po's (guest star Fiona Fu) arrival.

Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Jon Prasida, Tony Chung and Vanessa Kai also star.

Sudz Sutherland directed the episode written by Ryan Johnson & Peter Lalayanis (#112). Original airdate 7/14/2021.

Season finale synopsis:

"Transformation" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

THE KEY TO THE FORGE -

In the explosive season finale, Nicky (Olivia Liang) learns what is needed to open the forge.

Meanwhile, an emergency at home threatens to derail Althea (Shannon Dang) and Dennis'(Tony Chung) tea ceremony.

Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Jon Prasida, Eddie Liu, Gavin Stenhouse and Vanessa Kai also star.

Joe Menendez directed the episode written by Christina M. Kim & Robert Berens (#113). Original airdate 7/21/2021.

-----

I swear, they better not do anything to Althea and Dennis!

In the Deadline article announcing the new castmembers, there's also synopsis/preview for Season 2:

Following the explosive Season 1 finale, Season 2 picks up with Nicky (Olivia Liang) and the Shens in a great place: Nicky’s been using her kung fu skills to keep Chinatown safe, she and Henry (Eddie Liu) are only deeper in love with each other, and unlike season one, the Shen family are all in the know about Nicky’s extracurricular activities. Jin and Mei-Li have righted the ship and Harmony Dumplings has seen an extraordinary recovery– the restaurant is doing better business than ever. Everything’s been great in Nicky’s life… that is, until the reemergence of Russell Tan, and the surprise appearance of Nicky’s cousin, Mia (Yao).

Vanessa Yao as Mia:

Yao’s Mia, Nicky’s enigmatic cousin, is  the daughter of Nicky’s deceased aunt Mei-Xue. Raised in extreme isolation with her mother, Mia ran away from home and has been living on her own for years. Mia will cross dramatically with Nicky in the season premiere, but it’s no warm and fuzzy family reunion: Mia is a natural powerhouse, armed with incredible strength and reflexes… and a deeply ingrained suspiciousness of other people. The daughter of a Guardian and a Warrior, her hybrid bloodline is a key piece of Russell Tan’s villainous plan. Mia could be a valuable ally to Nicky in her fight against Russell Tan… or a dangerous new adversary.

Annie Q. is Juliette Tan, the clever and conniving daughter of powerful business mogul, Russell Tan. Cultured, precocious, and already well-seasoned in the world of business, Juliette offers Russell her steadfast support, eager to prove she’s ready to succeed him at the helm of the Tan empire. But as her father’s plans get darker and more supernatural, Juliette will have to decide just how far she’s willing to go to seize the brass ring and ascend to her father’s throne.

JB Tadena as Sebastian:

Tadena plays Sebastian, Harmony Dumplings’ talented and charming new chef, who steps into the lurch as the restaurant’s newfound success threatens to swallow up Jin and Mei-Li. Charming, cocky, and eager to show the Shens what he’s got, Sebastian will immediately turn the newly single Ryan’s head… but, much to Ryan’s frustration, it’s unclear if the attraction is mutual. Is he Just Not That Into Ryan? Or is he merely avoiding a potentially complicated hookup with his bosses’ son? While the will-they-won’t-they suspense kills Ryan– and fuels the teasing of his watchful siblings– Sebastian will find himself a bigger and bigger part of the Shens’ lives, as his working relationship with Mei-Li blooms into an unexpected new friendship.

• Love 2

It seems like Russell Tan will be a big part of the overall story, but there hasn't been any news about if the actor will be recurring or a regular. I guess most of that side of the story will be through Juliette Tan?

I'm not expecting him to be in Season 2 much, but I hope we get to see Kerwin Tan (Ludi Lin) again. At the very least, I'd like to see Zhilan's reaction to him still being alive.

Mia's part in Season 2 should be interesting -- she'll probably be in both the hero AND villain/antagonist roles throughout.

As for Nicky; I hope she gets a job in addition to crimefighting!

Synopsis and 12 promo pics for 201 (Year of the Tiger: Part 1) have been released...

Kung Fu - Episode 2.01 - Year of the Tiger: Part 1 - Promotional Photos + Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at February 10, 2022
https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/02/kung-fu-episode-201-year-of-tiger-part.html 

FAMILY MATTERS — With the Lunar New Year around the corner, a more confident and grounded Nicky (Olivia Liang) finds herself in a great place in her relationship with Henry (Eddie Liu) and with her family. However, when a break-in at the Shen residence leaves her shaken, Nicky, with the help of Evan (Gavin Stenhouse), begins to suspect that Russell Tan (guest star Kee Chan) may be involved. Elsewhere, as Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) and Jin (Tzi Ma) prepare for the New Year at Harmony Dumplings, Althea (Shannon Dang) begins to question whether she made the right decision re-entering the workforce. Finally, an unexpected guest at the Shen’s New Year’s Eve dinner rocks the family to their core. Jon Prasida, Tony Chung, Vanessa Kai and Yvonne Chapman also star. Joe Menendez directed the episode written by Christina M. Kim & Robert Berens (#201). Original airdate 3/9/2022.

KF201C_0258r.jpg

KF201_0003r.jpg

KF201a_0005r.jpg

KF201a_0040r.jpg

KF201b_0339r.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

2.02 synopsis; sounds like the supporting characters that didn't get a story in part 1 are getting it in part 2. And Kerwin's back, yay!

"Year of the Tiger: Part 2" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DLV) (HDTV)

TAKING DOWN RUSSELL TAN - In the midst of Lunar New Year festivities in Chinatown, Nicky (Olivia Liang) tries to help her newly-discovered cousin Mia (guest star Vanessa Yao) understand her new reality. Meanwhile, as Nicky and Evan (Gavin Stenhouse) follow a lead involving one of Russell Tan's (guest star Kee Chan) mercenaries, Henry (Eddie Liu) keeps an eye on Mia at the community center. Elsewhere, Ryan (Jon Prasida) meets Sebastian (guest star JB Tadena), Harmony Dumpling's newest line cook and Kerwin (guest star Ludi Lin) is paid a surprise visit by his sister Juliet (guest star Annie Q.) Finally, Zhilan is forced to confront her past. Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Shannon Dang, Tony Chung and Vanessa Kai also star.

Joe Menendez directed the episode written by Ryan Johnson & Peter Lalayanis (#202). Original airdate 3/16/2022.

2.03 synopsis:

"The Bell" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DLV) (HDTV)

INSIDE THE LION'S DEN - After a mishap forces her to re-evaluate her plan against Russell Tan (guest star Kee Chan), Nicky (Olivia Liang) turns her attention to finding out what Kerwin (guest star Ludi Lin) is up to after learning he's back in the fold. Jin (Tzi Ma) offers help to an old friend at the Chinatown Arts Collective, and the team makes a big move against Russell Tan. Kheng Hua Tan, Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida, Eddie Liu, Gavin Stenhouse, Tony Chung, Vanessa Kai and Yvonne Chapman also star.

Winnifred Jong directed the episode written by Brian Anthony (#203). Original airdate 3/23/2022.

The team (do we have a name for them??) making "big moves" already? 

It'll be interesting to see Kerwin with other characters since last season he essentially only had scenes with Zhilan.

(edited)

Olivia Liang Spills Some Juicy Details for a Darker ‘Kung Fu’ in Season 2
Laura Sirikul    March 7, 2022
https://thenerdsofcolor.org/2022/03/07/kung-fus-olivia-liang-spills-some-juicy-details-for-darker-season-2/ 

What I love most about the series is how connected it is to family. Nicky has worked so hard to build her relationship with her parents and siblings, and they all seem to have it together. But now, Nicky’s cousin Mia is in the picture. How does this change the Shen family dynamic?
Yeah, so we start Season 2 off like six months since the shenanigans of Season 1. Nicky and her family are all in a much better place with Harmony Dumplings doing well. Althea has a new job. Ryan just graduated med school. Nicky is, as you said, the sheriff of Chinatown, making sure that her community is safe. So with the introduction of her long lost cousin Mia, who her mom didn’t know about — Mia is her niece. It really shakes the Shen family. And, on top of her being in danger, it makes the whole family band together to want to protect her. So I love that the whole family’s in on it and it’s not just Nicky’s job to protect her but that it’s everyone — all hands on deck. 

I noticed that Mia is a cross between Guardian and Warrior, but we’ve always taken it that Nicky was “the chosen one” to protect the biange energy. Is Mia the new “chosen one” since she’s the mixed of both bloods? Are we going to see a competition between Nicky and Mia regarding this?
I don’t think we’re gonna see a competition, but there’s definitely a duality within Mia. She had a very sheltered life because her mom knew that her status — both Warrior and Guardian — was going to put her in a lot of danger. So watching Mia struggle with who she is, is something that’s quite parallel to what Nicky went through season one. I think, more than anything, Nicky sees her cousin as someone she can take under her wing, and kind of be the Sifu to the way that Pei-Ling (Vanessa Kai) was. So we’ll see Nicky step into that role of teacher.

Well, I do see parallels to Mia. I’ve only seen two episodes, but I also see parallels between Mia and Nicky with Pei-Ling and Zhilan and their relationship. Pei-Ling’s entire purpose was to protect her family and legacy just like Nicky and Zhilan felt confused and lost like Mia — unsure. Are we going to see a parallel between those relationships — especially since we really don’t know Mia’s true intentions?
Yeah, definitely. I think what our writers have done so beautifully — and they did so beautifully in Season 1 — [is that] there were so many parallels with the sister relationships that were going on and the teacher-student mentorship relationship. We definitely see that those parallels continued this season. Yeah, and I think it goes beyond Zhilan and Pei-Ling and Nicky and Mia. You’ll see it with every single character there. There are parallels that are happening in each other’s lives, and every character is learning something from a different character’s journey.
This season feels a lot darker than last season because — unlike last season, which had weekly episodes of meeting the people of Chinatown — this one is focused on one overarching theme and story. Zhilan was only one person last year, but Russell Tan has an army. So, the stakes feel higher. Would you say this season is a lot darker?
Definitely. It is both a darker and lighter season. The writers have done an amazing job of bringing a lot of levity to the Shen family and watching their love for each other. Because we’ve created this beautiful bond on-screen of loving each other when things happen to the Shens, it hurts even more. So yeah, the stakes have definitely been raised because we started to fall more in love with these characters. Yeah, Russell Tan has an army and we are at war. It’s a little bit of a David and Goliath thing with Nicky leading this ragtag group of people trying to stop the all powerful like Russell Tan, who has all of the resources and all of the connections. I love that we’ve got this through line threat throughout the season because the stakes feel high every single episode knowing that Russell could be getting closer to what he is trying to achieve.

So, we know Zhilan killed Nicky’s mentor Pei-Ling last season and Nicky puts Zhilan in prison, but we know she’s coming back for Tan and “the enemy of my enemy is my friend.” How do you feel their reunion will be and how will Nicky handle this emotionally?
Yeah. I think what I’ve learned is that there’s a through line throughout this season of what lengths you will go for your family and that is really tested when it comes to Nicky’s relationship with Zhilan. Because, as you know, Season 1 is a fraught one — she does not like her to put it very plainly and [Zhilan] has done a lot of horrible things. But it’s a darker season because Nicky starts to toe the line of what is right and she may not always be following the right thing to do, but she just needs to do the thing for her family. 

Okay, moving on from family, we need to talk about Hicky. I know it’s been a few months since the final battle — and Nicky chose Henry. But, does it feel a bit weird — because it was weird for me — that Evan is still hanging around and seems to be buddy-buddy with Henry? Is that weird? What’s up with that?
I think that they are a very evolved trio. Nicky and Evan have such a long history as friends first. I think it also helps that Evan works at the District Attorney’s office and can really have an in for Nicky. But no, I think that their friendship just went beyond what the relationship is. They really care about each other. Henry’s a very evolved dude. He’s like ‘I don’t feel threatened. I feel confident in my relationship with my girl. I don’t need to be worried that her ex is coming for me.’ But yeah, personally, as Olivia, I don’t think I would be able to be friends with my ex like that. But, you know, Nicky is much more evolved than I am as well. 

I’m really happy that Nicky;’s relationship life seems to be doing well and her and Henry are happy. But, it’s still a CW drama. What can we expect from this relationship? Are we going to find out more secrets? Is Evan secretly in the picture? This is the CW, so you know there’s going to be drama. 
There’s definitely some drama, but it’s not in a love triangle the way that you would expect. It’s super exciting because we get to find out a lot about Henry’s family and his backstory this season and dive more into that. So it’s more outside forces that might rock the relationship a little bit rather than a person coming in and catching one of their eyes.
I spoke to [co-showrunner Robert Berens] last season and he told me he wanted to showcase the Shooby Gang — I call you guys the Shooby Gang — having some fun since you’re all in your 20s. But, because this season starts off so dark, what fun side stories can we expect?
Okay, episode 4 — look out for it! It’s one of my favorite top three episodes of the season. I don’t want to give it away, but it is the most fun episode I think this season. It’s a side story that sounds silly on the surface, but it is one – I can’t even. I love that episode! We get to see the Shooby gang go all in on this side quest that involves Althea and it’s a lot of fun to see them put their heads together for something that isn’t exactly life-threatening. It gives me hope that they can help Chinatown without everything being life and death.

So, my biggest fear of the series is that Nicky will go back to being the “lone fighter” again. There is a scene that feels like that. I know she’s the “chosen one,” but I feel like she’s resorting back to “I’m going to do this alone. Me! Me!” Are we going to see this conflict again of Nicky wanting to include her family, but also knowing she has to deal with it herself? 
Definitely. I think Season 1, she has that lone wolf type of thing going on, but this season, because everyone’s in on her secrets and the threat is so big, no one is letting Nicky off the hook for that anymore. They’re like, ‘no, we’re not letting you do this alone.’ So you’ll see every one of the Shooby gang, including Jin and Mei-Li, really step it up and speak up and say to Nicky, ‘you can’t do this alone. You need us.’ So I do think you’ll see that. Nicky does struggle with that. She doesn’t want to put the people she loves in danger, but she has learned from her past and is not attempting to do everything alone anymore.
Okay, last question — what spoilers can you tell me or, at least, a hint for us regarding Nicky and Russell Tan — and also #Zhicky?
I think by the end of the season, Zhicky fans will be happy. I read the finale and I literally cried at a scene between Zhilan and Nicky. That’s all I’m gonna say. It gave me chills. I was literally weeping. It’s really a gorgeous scene and that’s the credit to Christina [Kim] and Bob who wrote the finale. We’re about to start shooting it next week. And, in terms of Russell Tan — he’s a bad guy. He has really crazy plans. As soon as anyone tries to predict what it is he’s after this season, there’s no way that you’re going to be able to predict it! As we were reading it as a cast, every week was a jaw-dropping discovery of what his real goal is in life. So yeah, the threat is real. Russell Tan is not to be messed with and he really needs to be stopped. We just have to hope that Nicky and her family can stop him.

Interview: Olivia Liang Talks ‘Kung Fu’ Season 2 [EXCLUSIVE]
By Kenedi   March 7, 2022
https://www.nerdsandbeyond.com/2022/03/07/interview-olivia-liang-talks-kung-fu-season-2-exclusive/ 

Nerds and Beyond: That’s awesome. And so, the way the promotional materials have been advertising it, it seems like Mia’s arrival is the catalyst for Nicky sort of becoming a shifu in her own right, offering her younger cousin guidance. How do you think Nicky’s emotional journey confronting her grief over Pei-Ling last season will affect her stepping into this new role?
Olivia Liang:
Yeah, you know, I think you’re absolutely right. The introduction of Mia is the catalyst for Nicky to start thinking about what it means to be a teacher and a mentor. I don’t think that’s something that she was prepared for because I mean, do you ever feel prepared for something like that? But yeah, I think the spirit of Pei-Ling lives on in the way that Nicky lives her life and will continue to live on in the way that Nicky wants to teach Mia those same lessons.

But, you know, it’s, it’s a little bit contentious at first. Nicky does have a tendency to think that she’s always doing the right thing and to think that her way is the best. So, the introduction of Mia kind of shakes that a little bit, and Nicky has to come to terms with the fact that, you know, she may not know what’s best always. And have to draw back on some of the teachings that Pei-Ling bestowed upon her and try to pass that on to Mia, as well.

Nerds and Beyond: Yeah, thanks for that really thoughtful answer! At the end of last season, we were left with the vague sense that the power struggle surrounding Biange is not finished, though the ordeal with the weapons seemingly is. How much does this storyline tie in with the new focus on Russell Tan as the show’s main villain, and is Nicky as “back to normal” in terms of her powers from Biange as it would appear?
Olivia Liang:
I think that the tease of the Biange flower blooming in San Francisco at the end of season one just is letting us know that the magic has followed Nicky from China and the monastery to San Francisco. And with the introduction of Russell being our kind of main villain, he definitely has his sights set on what that magic is. And I think we’ll have to stay tuned throughout the season — I don’t want to give too much away in terms of what Nicky’s bloodline means in terms of power and her abilities.

Nerds and Beyond: Yeah, of course. Speaking of villains, of the two season 1 big bads, Zhilan ends up in prison while Russell Tan, as you were saying, kind of seems poised to take on a big role in the narrative going forward. So considering Zhilan is not really a fan of Tan, and Yvonne Chapman has been upgraded to a series regular this year (yay!), could we possibly be seeing a Nicky/Zhilan team up?
Olivia Liang:
I think that that would be a very reasonable possibility seeing that what we set up in season one is that Zhilan, kind of her whole mission was to take Russell Tan down, and now that he’s moved into San Francisco and he is starting to cause trouble there, we could expect Zhilan to follow him to complete her mission. So yeah, I think that’s a fair assumption.

Nerds and Beyond: Switching gears, at the end of season one, Nicky appears to definitively pick one love interest from the triangle that we got to know over the course of the season (#TeamHicky as Eddie [Liu] always tweets out). Everything seems happy, but this is a drama show! We don’t trust anything. So how stable should we assume Henry and Nicky are heading into season 2?
Olivia Liang:
I think that we can assume that Henry and Nicky are very stable. You know, they make a great team. They’re wonderful partners, and they understand each other on a very unspoken level. And so any sort of trouble that may come their way I don’t think is going to be internal or people-related. I think it’s just going to be circumstance-related that might pull them apart or keep them together.
Nerds and Beyond: That’s amazing. What’s one thing that you can share (without giving too much away) that you’re looking forward to fans experiencing during season two?
Olivia Liang:
Mmmm, so as a cast, like truly, every single script that we’ve read has been a huge cliffhanger. Every episode is so epic and has felt like a finale, and we as the cast are so eager every single episode to find out what happens next. So, I’m really excited for the fans to also experience that hunger for “oh no what’s next? No, don’t stop there!”

Edited by tv echo

2.04 synopsis:

"Clementine" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DV) (HDTV)

GIVING UP THE PAST - After finding himself in a bind, Dennis (Tony Chung) turns to Nicky (Olivia Liang) for help, leading them to uncover an auto theft ring in Chinatown. Elsewhere, when an argument about family causes Henry (Eddie Liu) and Nicky to have their first real fight, Henry reluctantly reconnects with his estranged father. Finally, Evan (Gavin Stenhouse) is forced to make a difficult decision that could cost him his job.

Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Shannon Dang and Jon Prasida also star. Richard Speight, Jr. directed the episode written by Richard Lowe (#204). Original airdate 3/30/2022.

Dennis is the 'case of the week', and some Henry backstory!

In this video interview, Ludi Lin indicates he's in "one of the last episodes of Season 2"; so it looks like Kerwin will be around, even if Ludi is only a 'guest star'.

In this Olivia Liang interview, she teases a Shen family story:

Do you have a favorite episode this season?

Yes, I love the first episode just because it's so action-packed and we really set the stage for this season. And our director, Joe Menendez, did a wonderful job putting that all together. And then there's an episode that involves Althea and Dennis, Episode 4. I'm so excited for that one. I think that's my favorite of the season. It was so much fun to film. There's a car chase involved and that is all I will say. Episode 10 is a super emotional episode and I'm really excited for people to see the Shens go through some serious stuff.

2.05 synopsis:

"Reunion" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

THE RACE TO FIND MIA - After receiving a new clue that could lead to Mia's (guest star Vanessa Yao) whereabouts, Nicky (Olivia Liang) and Henry (Eddie Liu) race to find her before Russell Tan's forces do. Meanwhile, Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) is tested when a new restaurant opens nearby, and Althea (Shannon Dang) continues to struggle with the challenges of work. Tzi Ma, Jon Prasida, Gavin Stenhouse, Tony Chung, Vanessa Kai and Yvonne Chapman also star.

David Grossman directed the episode written by A.C. Allen (#205). Original airdate 4/6/2022.

2.06 synopsis:

"Jyu Sa" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DV) (HDTV)

FRIEND OR SHIFU - After a tip from Evan (Gavin Stenhouse) leads Nicky (Olivia Liang) and Mia (guest star Vanessa Yao) to a secret meeting between Juliette (guest star Annie Q) and a mysterious scientist, Nicky begins to question whether she should approach her relationship with Mia as a friend or a shifu. Elsewhere, Henry's (Eddie Liu) findings lead him to an expert that may be able to help decipher his research. Finally, Jin (Tzi Ma) and Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) help to settle an age-old dispute between Chinatown's oldest grocers. Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida, Vanessa Kai and Tony Chung also star. Kristin Windell directed the episode written by Matt Young (#206). Original airdate 4/13/2022.

2.07 synopsis:

"The Alchemist" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DLV) (HDTV)

SECRETS AND LIES - As Nicky (Olivia Liang) investigates the secrets behind a mysterious stone that Juliet (guest star Annie Q) is after, Henry (Eddie Liu) uncovers a shocking revelation about his father. Elsewhere, Althea (Shannon Dang) prepares for investor meetings for her app, and Dennis (Tony Chung) receives an ultimatum from his dad. Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Jon Prasida, Gavin Stenhouse and Vanessa Kai also star.

Richard Speight Jr. directed the episode written by Jon Bring (#207). Original airdate 4/27/2022.

------

Oh no - dad drama with Henry AND Dennis! I don't know what's up with Henry's dad, but I really hope it's not related to the whole mystery with the Tans. I think it would be too coincidental; and they've been doing a good job so far of giving the supporting characters stories outside of Nicky/Guardian/Tans stuff.

Now Dennis I could see getting roped into that, since he's also from a rich connected family like the Tans -- although I don't want him to, it would make sense.

2.08 synopsis:

"Disclosure" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DV) (HDTV)

HARMONY DUMPLINGS' 25TH ANNIVERSARY - As Nicky (Olivia Liang) wrestles with a secret she's been keeping from Mia (guest star Vanessa Yao), she teams up with Evan (Gavin Stenhouse), who makes a major discovery about his former boss. Elsewhere, Althea (Shannon Dang) attempts to pull off a surprise 25th anniversary party for Harmony Dumpling against her mother's wishes, and Ryan (Jon Prasida) begins to question what Sebastian (guest star JB Tadena) may be hiding from him. Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Eddie Liu, Vanessa Kai and Yvonne Chapman also star.

Joe Menendez directed the episode with story by Linda Ge and teleplay by Ryan Johnson & Peter Lalayanis (#208). Original airdate 5/4/2022.

2.09 synopsis:

"The Enclave" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

INFILTRATING THE ENCLAVE - After uncovering an item that Russell Tan (guest star Kee Chan) is after, Nicky (Olivia Liang) enlists her entire family to help infiltrate the Enclave, a secret gathering of the world's elite. Elsewhere, Nicky deals with the fallout of a secret she's kept from Mia (guest star Vanessa Yao). Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida, Eddie Liu, Gavin Stenhouse and Yvonne Chapman also star.

R.T. Thorne directed the episode written by Dan Hamamura (#209). Original airdate 5/11/2022.

----

Gotta be honest - not feeling good about involving the whole family in a 'secret gathering'. 😮

Edited by Trini

Sounds like a pivotal episode; 2.10 synopsis:

"Destruction" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES - Nicky (Olivia Liang) is left reeling after a secret she's kept hidden from her family leads to some tragic consequences. Meanwhile, Mia (guest star Vanessa Yao) teams up with an unexpected ally, and Nicky and Henry (Eddie Liu) find themselves at a crossroads in their relationship. Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida, Gavin Stenhouse, Yvonne Chapman, Vanessa Kai and Tony Chung also star. Jeff Chan directed the episode written by Melissa Rundle (#210). Original airdate 5/18/2022.

2.11 synopsis:

"Bloodline" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

THE RACE TO FIND MIA - Nicky's (Olivia Liang) desperation to find Mia (guest star Vanessa Yao) intensifies after learning that Mia is beginning to unravel, and that Xiao's (Vanessa Kai) prophecy may be coming true. Meanwhile, Zhilan (Yvonne Chapman) makes a surprising discovery about Russell Tan's (guest star Kee Chan) plan.

Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida, Eddie Liu and Gavin Stenhouse also star. Kristin Windell directed the episode written by Michael Deigh (#211). Original airdate 5/25/2022.

2.12 synopsis:

"Alliance" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

ALL HANDS ON DECK - With Russell Tan (guest star Kee Chan) on the verge of making his final move, Nicky (Olivia Liang) enlists all the help she can get in order to stop him before it's too late. But when an unexpected discovery threatens to derail their efforts, the team will be forced to prepare for what may be a losing battle. Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida, Eddie Liu, Gavin Stenhouse, Yvonne Chapman, Vanessa Kai and Tony Chung also star.

Richard Speight, Jr. directed the episode written by Ryan Johnson & Peter Lalayanis (#212). Original airdate 6/8/2022.

Vague synopsis for the Season 2 finale:

"The Source" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

BLOODLINES - Nicky (Olivia Liang) teams up with an unexpected ally and sets out on a dangerous mission to take down Russell Tan (guest star Kee Chan) once and for all. Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida, Eddie Liu, Gavin Stenhouse, Yvonne Chapman, Vanessa Kai and Tony Chung also star.

Joe Menendez directed the episode written by Christina M. Kim & Robert Berens (#213). Original airdate 6/15/2022.

New characters:

Legacies alum Ben Levin and Kim Rhodes (Supernatural) have joined the upcoming third season of CW’s Kung Fu in heavily recurring roles.

Levin will play Bo, a barista/vigilante who lives across the Bay in Oakland. He’s cool, smart, and strong with a jack-of-all-trades fighting style. His extracurricular crime fighting leads to a collision with Nicky (Olivia Liang) and her siblings. New in town and far from home, Bo’s eager to pitch in with the Shen family’s adventures, and to fight by Nicky’s side.

Rhodes will portray Carrie, a blunt, funny professional who works as a representative for a large restaurant investment group. When Carrie’s company takes an interest in Harmony Dumplings, Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) is quick to decline their overtures, but when an unexpected friendship blooms between her and Carrie, Mei-Li opens herself up to a possible alliance.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/kung-fu-ben-levin-kim-rhodes-season-3-cw-series-recurring-1235079006/

----

A "barista/vigilante"? Well, at least he has a day job -- unlike Nicky.  I guess this will be Nicky's new love interest?

I'm still disappointed they broke up Nicky & Henry before they even really explored their relationship. And now they're bringing in someone new, but he sounds like 'Henry 2.0'. I think it's a safe bet that they'll bring in someone for Henry as well, so we'll get the full CW love square experience.  :(

3.01 synopsis:

"Shifu" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DV) (HDTV)

A CRIME WAVE IN CHINATOWN AND A MYSTERIOUS VIGILANTE - As the Shen's prepare for Harmony Dumplings' grand reopening, they learn that they have become the latest victims of a crime wave that has hit their Chinatown community. As Nicky (Olivia Liang) and the team prepare to take matters into their own hands, a run-in with a vigilante named Bo (guest star Ben Levin) leaves Nicky wondering who this mysterious stranger in her city is. Elsewhere, following the legal fallout from her app, Althea (Shannon Dang) and Dennis (Tony Chung) move back in with Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) and Jin (Tzi Ma), and Ryan (Jon Prasida) and Sebastian (JB Tadena) adjust to living together, while juggling their busy schedules. Finally, the unexpected arrival of someone from Nicky's past rocks her to her core.

Eddie Liu, Gavin Stenhouse and Vanessa Kai also star.

David Grossman directed the episode written by Christina M. Kim & Robert Berens (#301). Original airdate 10/5/2022.