Type keyword(s) to search

SSSS.Gridman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

There hasn't been a thread set up for this anime currently running on Toonami. Since @lathspel and @Vermicious Knid commented about it on the Toonami thread, I might as well start one.

It's not that I didn't think the series wasn't worthy of discussion. I just never felt the need to go over it. There are a lot of intriguing concepts . . . protagonist with amnesia, mecha that exists in an old computer, weirdies that can transform into accessories for said mecha, girl that can create kaiju with some villain that looks to be from a second-string Power Rangers ripoff, continuity getting "fixed" and people getting wiped from existence . . . and that's just off the top of my head. Also, there's one girl who's always wearing a mask over her face. Given this was made before 2020, I am amused by it.

Is anyone else watching this? How big of a fan are you? Do you set up drinking games centering on the sidekick saying "Gridman Alliance"?

• Useful 1

In case anyone didn't know: the SSSS in the title is a reference to the live-action series...

the Power Rangers-esque series based on the original tokusatsu series of Gridman; Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad.

Mask girl is my favorite side character to keep an eye out for.  She’s the “Glee Neck Brace Cheerleader” of this show. 

I made my argument on the Toonami thread that Gridman is a lot closer to Big O than Transformers so far. 

This is sneakily becoming my favorite current show - well before the latest ep’s salute to Evangelion.  The kaiju was angel-like, a main character has an eyepatch, armor gets torn off of Gridman, and of course “God’s in His heaven, all’s right in the world.”

1 hour ago, lathspel said:

This show became an amazing mix of the ridiculous and the sublime.  I’ll miss it. 

Basically it was . .. smashing together The Big O and Haruhi Suzumiya? It was unique, but I don't think it'll be popular in the bigger picture. It'll probably be lumped with Dimension W.