Type keyword(s) to search

Pieces of a Woman (2021)

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

I thought this movie was pretty good, i expected it to be nominated, not sure about wins though. 

I would definitely NOT recommend this movie to anyone who is sensitive to the subject matter

But I think it was a really good story to be told, for I think it is more common then people realize, and while this is not exactly the same, one of my friends told me about a friend close to them who lost their baby a week before birth in utero and how the mother had to deliver a deceased baby, and the emotional toll it took on the couple

Hearing stories like that make you appreciate and think about how dangerous the whole process is

But did anyone else think the chemistry between Vanessa K. and Shia L. was off??? I just wasn't buying them as a couple, but I may be extra critical because i CANNOT stand Shia L. as an actor, I have never liked him since his Transformers days, I am not saying it now just because of the drama surrounding him....I just do not like his acting method

On 2/3/2021 at 10:46 PM, snickers said:

But did anyone else think the chemistry between Vanessa K. and Shia L. was off??? I just wasn't buying them as a couple, but I may be extra critical because i CANNOT stand Shia L. as an actor, I have never liked him since his Transformers days, I am not saying it now just because of the drama surrounding him....I just do not like his acting method

They seemed like an odd couple. It's like they came from 2 different worlds. It looked like she had an office/corporate type job. The house where the lived was nice and big, her mom's house was nice too. And he seemed more blue collar with his job. He also mentioned he was sober and then of course fell off the wagon. They just seemed like opposites, which does happen. As they say, opposites attract but the whole movie I kept thinking "how did these two meet?" I wonder if it was a one night stand and she got pregnant so they got together. I also don't know what the lawyer cousin saw in him which prompted her to screw him in her office. 

I started to watch this but didn't get far.  I'm not sensitive to the subject matter but it's not exactly my favorite subject for a film, and Shia's character was getting on my nerves with his nonstop chattering.

Oscar nomination!

Best Actress
Viola Davis (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)
Andra Day (“The United States vs. Billie Holiday”)
Vanessa Kirby (“Pieces of a Woman”)
Frances McDormand (“Nomadland”)
Carey Mulligan (“Promising Young Woman”)