Type keyword(s) to search

Secret Celebrity Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

One-hour reality series that gives celebrities in sports, music and entertainment the chance to gift a surprise home renovation to a person who helped guide them to success.

On CBS

I was disappointed. It might have been better as a half hour as I felt like there was a lot of wasted time. All the time showing the celebrity “working” on the renovation seemed so fake and drawn out to me.  Also too long with the teachers in the auditorium. It was nice to recognize them, but enough was enough. I hated the gravel covering almost the entire front yard. I liked the brick. I didn’t feel like the recipient was very enthused with most of it — seemed like she missed some of her personal things. I thought she liked the music equipment the best. Of course it looked a lot better overall, but seemed more like a show home, not personalized for the owner.  I didn’t get why they kept saying the house was for the family, but the new screened in patio was for the owner. Surely any visiting family members would also enjoy the spacious patio?

Am I blind or did I not see a kitchen?  I liked the show. I'm sure his aunt will personalize her space. It's not as if he threw all her stuff away. I loved hearing a lttle of his history. Didn't seem fake to me. Very fun.

Ok I am annoyed at this show and the one just like it on HGTV!   They take perfectly clean, homey places and turn them into dream homes/rooms/yards.  Mostly the recipients were happy with their houses before and they were structurally sound.  Why not go to the home of a disabled person, a jobless person, an elderly person whose house is falling apart and make it livable?  I even feel guilty watching these "makeovers".  Every one of these celebrities could do this fix-up on their own with their own money if they were so motivated.  Yes, a teal bathtub is not modern, but at least there is a bathtub with clean running water and sewer.  Rant over.

• Love 2
On 8/6/2021 at 11:42 PM, azprimadonna said:

Why not go to the home of a disabled person, a jobless person, an elderly person whose house is falling apart and make it livable?  I even feel guilty watching these "makeovers".  Every one of these celebrities could do this fix-up on their own with their own money if they were so motivated.  Yes, a teal bathtub is not modern, but at least there is a bathtub with clean running water and sewer.  Rant over.

Because I, for one, do not want to see a "sob story" ever week, which is downright depressing. We have enough depressing situations going on in the world without having to view it on an entertainment program too.

In addition, the celebrities are the attraction. We get to see their generosity, watch them in action, hear their commentary, etc...all the while doing something nice for a friend or relative.

That blue bathtub was ugly! Many times friends of celebrities aren't as well off, and probably wouldn't take a "gift" outright. BUT, for a TV show (which I'm sure is also kicking in goods/money towards the reno), they're not only helping themselves, but giving their celebrity friend a chance to shine, along with added publicity.

I loved tonight's episode with Boston Rob my favorite Survivor player ever. I was impressed that he really contributed to the renovation he's talked about being in construction and it really showed. His daughters look just like Amber.

• Like 1
  • Love 3