Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Down and Out

raven
  • Start Topic

30 minutes ago, AudienceofOne said:

The whole philosophy had me asking myself, "what IS a Belter?" Is it just someone who survives in a low-gravity environment?

I keep comparing the Belter culture to the Polynesian and South Pacific cultures. Thease folks inhabit a vast region and are very diverse, we still think of them as more or less one group, due to their inhabiting Islands rather than contentents and their early mastery of seafaring and navigation.

If given more time, the people of Ganymede and the other moons of Jupiter and Saturn would have developed their own culture distinct from the Belters of the Asteriod Belt. The destruction of  Ganymede, the subsequent conflicts, and the discovery an use of the Ring threw a wrench into that.

Edited by marinw
3 hours ago, marinw said:

I keep comparing the Belter culture to the Polynesian and South Pacific cultures. Thease folks inhabit a vast region and are very diverse, we still think of them as more or less one group, due to their inhabiting Islands rather than contentents and their early mastery of seafaring and navigation.

I am an island dweller. The dozen plus islands in the Lesser Antilles archipelago have many similarities, but they each have their own character.

The belters are the people who live in the belt. The belt is fairly large, with many small, widely separated communities. I can easily believe that while the belter culture can exist from one end of the belt to the other, I can quite understand how there will be plenty of variety within that wider culture.

• Love 1