Type keyword(s) to search

Uncle Frank (2020)

Shannon L.
  • Start Topic

This was released on Thanksgiving Day and I just got around to watching it.  It's not a perfect movie, but it's worth watching just for the powerhouse performance by Paul Bettany.  Peter Macdissi is also fantastic in his role.  The movie itself is beautifully shot and has a bit of charm underlying the drama, but the ending was a bit too perfect for me--especially knowing what it was like in small towns in the deep south during the 70s.  I don't usually mind the happy Hollywood ending, but having had an uncle from a small town (not in the south, but quite rural) come out about a decade later and watching the different reactions to the announcement from my religious (in some cases very religious) family, I'd have been fine with a slightly different way of wrapping up the movie.  

I don't know what the Academy's rules are on movies that are made for streaming services (is there an exception this year because of the pandemic?), but, imo, Paul Bettany should be up there with other contenders for Best Actor.  I haven't seen him in anything except the Marvel movies, so, while I had a feeling he could be good, it wasn't until I saw him in this role that I realized just how good. 

• Love 3

I finally got around to watching this and really enjoyed it. I agree the happy ending was a bit pat, but I enjoyed the performances and the cinematography. I haven't seen Paul Bettany in anything in years, and thought he was fantastic, playing someone who was coolly sophisticated on the outside and deeply troubled on the inside. I also thought Peter Macdissi was wonderful as his long-time partner - just a lovely performance. I totally believed them as a couple. Definitely worth a watch if you're in the mood for something touching and heartwarming.

• Love 4
On 1/6/2021 at 11:46 PM, Cheezwiz said:

I haven't seen Paul Bettany in anything in years, and thought he was fantastic, playing someone who was coolly sophisticated on the outside and deeply troubled on the inside.

That scene where they were reading the will and he sensed was what coming? The way his body and face tensed up and the shaking starting.....it just about killed me.

• Love 4