Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Cardassians

Synopsis:  Garak investigates the identity of a Cardassian boy, Rugal, abandoned on Bajor, who has been brought up by Bajorans, Proka Migdal.

One of my favorites episodes of the scond season (and a nice parallel to storylines to come later!)

As an aside, for those who do like this episode, try givign the ST novel "The Never-Ending Sacrifice" (aviabale in Ebook fomrat) a try, as it loosely ties into this episode as well.

This episode seems to be made of a bunch a coincidences, yet I still really enjoyed it.

"I didn't do anything."

Uh, Rugal you bit a man's hand!

Yes, I know Garak was supposed to come off as creepy to him, and he supposedly responded in fear. The problem is, Rugal took too long responding ("Eesh, this man is bugging me. I know! I will bite his hand."), and he didn't actually look scared until after he bit his hand (and even that is suspect).

Kira's statement about the orphaned Cardassians really shows something about Bajor. Even while fighting for their own land, even while starving and being beaten/tortured, they show a great compassion for these children. "We had no choice but to take them in." (Of course, I'm sure many Bajorans felt differently, but this episode is not about them.)

Bad, racist O'Brien. Bad!

Actually, that is a nice holdover from TNG. It's nice that becoming a main character didn't make the racism (specism?) magically disappear. Thinking that Molly had been sent away was actually not so bad. Rugal had bitten someone after all. The stuff after that however…

Keiko, you need to learn how trying too hard can make things worse. Ask Rugal what he wants to eat. Also, if you have the option to try new food without witnesses, you might want to consider it. Having a "this is not as bad as I thought it would be" expression is potentially offensive.

I do understand her frustration of hearing someone you love saying things like that.

This brings up a sort of minor issue is not just relate to this episode. Why do the O'Briens feel the need to eat the same dinner? It is replicated. They can eat whatever dinner they want.

Nice to see O'Brien and Rugal start their bond over disliking Cardassian food.

Too bad we couldn't switch out Rugal for the Cardassian orphan girl (Asha, according to Memory Alpha). Her few minutes were better acting than anything Rugal did all episode. Age-wise, she also just looks the part. I know Rugal is supposed to be 12, but he looks old enough to declare that he's going to start living on his own.

I rather enjoyed Proka (Rugal's Bajoran Father). He looks grumpy all the time, but Rugal gets a few smiles out of him. I also liked Pa'Dar (Rugal's Cardassian Father). He really looks like an older version of Rugal.

I do feel that Sisko made the wrong choice. Rugal was old enough to decide what he wanted. Actually, it would have been best if he could live with Pa'Dar for a designated period of time, then make his choice. However, I suspect that would have ended with Rugal and Pa'Dar "mysteriously" disappearing...and I really couldn't blame Pa'Dar for it either.

Garak was great throughout this episode. Bashir certainly enjoyed himself.

Bad, racist O'Brien. Bad!

I think that served to humanize him even more than ever before, actually.

He came off as a REAL person, with flaws, merits and prejudices. (And to be fair, IIRC, wasn't he imprisoned/totured by the "Cardies" during the TNG run?)

• Love 2

I think that served to humanize him even more than ever before, actually.

He came off as a REAL person, with flaws, merits and prejudices. (And to be fair, IIRC, wasn't he imprisoned/totured by the "Cardies" during the TNG run?)

He was probably also reflecting the opinion many viewers at the time. Lol.

I don't think he was, but he was on the frontlines during the Starfleet/Cardassian war.

Kira was strangely absent from an episode that heavily featured Bajoran attitudes towards Cardassians. I don't know why the doctor took such an interest in this case when it should have been Kira mediating between the Bajoran father and the Cardassian one. Seemed like an odd choice in the writing, and somewhat random, as if there was a schedule up somewhere that showed Bashir was "due" for an episode so he was shoe-horned into this story.

Otherwise I rather enjoyed it. I'm really amazed at the improvement in the show since the first season. Seems like the producers got together during the hiatus and collectively decided the show needed to be stronger.

I can see the Kira argument, but I think she has too many biases for both sides of the argument to get equal and fair time.  That is something that DS9 eventually becomes very good at--showing the points of view of both (or more) sides to a conflict without necessarily being too judgmental.