Type keyword(s) to search

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2020)

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

In retrospect, I wonder if Viola and Chadwick had been submitted in the Supporting categories (argument could be made this was an ensemble piece and they are all supporting, like "Friends"), if they would have won.  I thought Viola was magnificent and Chadwick was a revelation.  Levee's monologue about what happened to his mom would have won the Oscar 9 times out of 10.

We can always do the Monday Night quarterbacking of could've and should've but I don't think putting Chadwick in Lead is what cost him. Because if we remember, at the very start of Award Season, and I'm talking very early days, with the various Critics' Circle awards, they were submitting him in Supporting. 

We know how Award Season is very much like a campaign where people talk and get a heads up of how things are looking, etc. All that to say, I believe they switched Chadwick to Lead because they got a very strong indication that he could pull off the win. And despite losing last night, that assumption wasn't wrong because until the last hurdle, he DID sweep the season. So it's hard to say putting him in Lead hurt his chances. 

I just think there were combination of factors that turned things on its head at the last stage, namely that The Father got a late season surge. And a lot of critics/pundits in the last week were starting to say the buzz they were hearing was making them think there could be an upset. Particularly, that a number of anonymous ballots seemed to share this sentiment of "we all know Chadwick will win but I really loved Anthony Hopkins' performance, so I'll give him a vote". Well that kind of thinking is how upsets happen. 

As I said last night, in the immediate aftermath,  I just felt sadness but not anger. I am not going to denigrate Anthony Hopkins and his performance. Because that is why these awards are so subjective.  Chadwick was brilliant and more than deserving of the win but Anthony Hopkins' performance wasn't undeserving either. So I can't scream outrage. But yes, I'm sad. 

Sad that we will never get another brilliant performance from Chadwick Boseman, and so never have another chance for him to win. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

As I said last night, in the immediate aftermath,  I just felt sadness but not anger. Because I am not going to denigrate Anthony Hopkins and his performance. Because that is why these awards are so subjective.  Chadwick was brilliant and more than deserving of the win but Anthony Hopkins' performance wasn't undeserving either. So I can't scream outrage. But yes, I'm sad. 

Sad that we will never get another brilliant performance from Chadwick Boseman, so there's no other chance to win.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I’m not just sad he lost, I’m sad because he’ll never get another chance to win.

• Love 1