Type keyword(s) to search

David Byrne's American Utopia

• Start Topic

I just finished watching this on its premiere night on HBO.

Genius doesn't age; it only ripens. David Byrne + Spike Lee = Genius × 2. This was brilliant. I only wish I'd have gotten to see it live. 

My favorite music performance documentary has always been Jonathan Demme's "Stop Making Sense", which featured Talking Heads. It has to slide over just a little on that top shelf and allow "American Utopia" to accompany it. David Byrne is just as interesting in the 2020s as he was in 1980s.

• Love 4

I'll date myself, I saw "Stop Making Sense" at one of those glorious big old movie palaces back in the 80s and have never forgotten it. This was fantastic, so creatively envisioned and executed. The music, the ensemble, the production values. And I'm so glad we got to hear the Detroit chorus's version of that song at the end. This all just made me very happy, much needed these days 😁

• Love 3