Type keyword(s) to search

Wild Card: The Downfall of a Radio Loudmouth

• Start Topic

Craig Carton was a prominent New York sports radio personality (with Boomer Esiason) until his secret gambling addiction--financed by an illicit ticket-brokering business--halted his career and landed him in jail. In a series of interviews, Carton opens up on how he went from big city success to convict.

Meh.  Never heard of the guy, and I listen to sports radio. 

I think some of his gambling numbers were a bit inflated to create drama. Nobody's that stupid, and I know some degenerate gamblers.

He appears to be remorseful, but part of me thinks the douchebag "character" in the back of his head just wanted back on the radio (which apparently will happen).

I read Sarah D Bunting's review of this doc and I'll be hard passing thanks because this...

18 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

This seemed like a documercial to reinstate this guy’s career.

...isn't far from the truth. 

From her review:

What isn't fine is that it's directed and produced by Martin Dunn and Marie McGovern, who are friends of Carton's, and who don't disclose that fact. 

If anyone is interested, here's the New Yorker article referenced in the review. I really don't need to know anything more.

I feel like the HBO docs recently are really far below the quality of what they used to be years ago.

17 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I read Sarah D Bunting's review of this doc and I'll be hard passing thanks because this...

From her review:

If anyone is interested, here's the New Yorker article referenced in the review. I really don't need to know anything more.

I feel like the HBO docs recently are really far below the quality of what they used to be years ago.

Agreed. They are like magazine articles put on screen. Little substance.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2020 at 6:32 PM, Giant Misfit said:

From her review:

After reading that article, it's more than obvious that the friendly filmmakers soft-pedalled a lot of stuff. 

Did they even mention that his wife left him?

On 10/15/2020 at 10:47 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

After reading that article, it's more than obvious that the friendly filmmakers soft-pedalled a lot of stuff. 

Did they even mention that his wife left him?

No. No mention of that.

Frankly, I listened to him for many years and wondered what kind of woman would stay with someone as distasteful as him