Type keyword(s) to search

S32: Riley and Maddison (pro volleyball players)

• Start Topic

image.thumb.png.693a0817007b3549579efceece8132f0.png

Read Riley and Maddison’s full bios.

Name: Riley McKibbin
Hometown: Honolulu
Current occupation: Professional beach volleyball player

Three words to describe you: Coffee, wine, and happy.

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Amazing Race with your partner (other than winning one million bucks)? 
Growing up watching the show I would often catch myself thinking, "If that were me, what would I do…" or "I could definitely win this roadblock or that detour…" or "welp, it’d be over for me if I had to do that!" etc. When you watch The Amazing Race at home, you can’t help but wonder how you would actually fare in such a high stakes competition. 

And by some stroke of luck, I get this amazing opportunity to legitimately test not only my abilities but that of my partner’s as well, who just so happens to be both my brother and the kid who sat there with me watching The Amazing Race on TV, bouncing our own strategies off one another over the years. I am excited to see if my brother and I can put some of our many differences aside and come together to hopefully make the formidable team we once imagined we could be if we ever found ourselves on The Amazing Race… without killing one another. 

Name: Maddison McKibbin
Hometown: Honolulu 
Current occupation: Professional beach volleyball player

Three words to describe you: Altruistic, optimistic, and inquisitive. 

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Amazing Race with your partner (other than winning one million bucks)? 
I want to see as much of the world as I possibly can while testing the boundaries of what my brother and I can accomplish in a competition filled with challenges completely foreign to what we’re used to going up against together. 

Never been a fan of the Mountain Man facial hair look, as my mom calls it. But again you have ONE job when naming your child and that is not to saddle them with something they will learn to hate and be made fun of because. These parents have failed. "Maddison"?? Seriously?

• Love 2

OK, so Gary and DeAngelo the NFL players were ticked off because they supposedly had an alliance with the Beards.

In fact, during that music challenge, they supposedly had a deal:

What was your reaction when you saw the other three teams turn to each other at one point and start working together?

Gary: At one point, DeAngelo asked the other teams if anyone wanted to work together, and they say no. But what wasn’t shown was Riley and Maddison came to us and said, “If you get the answer, let us know. And we’ll do the same.” When they got it right, we were right behind them. And they ran away and around us after we supposedly had this alliance. To see them run off, we knew we were done. We didn’t know what the answer was, so we were super frustrated. That’s another reason we took the penalty; we didn’t think we would ever get it right because I never heard music in France.

So when they leave you behind and you think it’s officially over, what were you feeling?

DeAngelo: At that point, it was over with. We were the last team to check in. We were heated because we had been there for four hours, and Riley and Maddison broke our super-secret alliance. Before you become an athlete and you get that big paycheck, all you have is your word. I’m a firm believer that the people who are successful in life either stand by their word or completely go against the grain and never stand by their word. There’s no in-between.

Coming onto this show and not seeing it previously, let me know that it truly is a game. It’s about who you can get on your side to advance you to where you want to go. And I didn’t understand that until after the race, getting the opportunity to see it. That being said, I’m never going back on the race.

Gary: That’s a soft “no.” Don’t listen to that nonsense.
DeAngelo: [Laughs.]
Gary: If there was a season for charity, I might be able to convince him. Don’t let that “no” deter you.

https://parade.com/1134610/mikebloom/the-amazing-race-32-deangelo-williams-gary-barnidge-eliminated-interview/

So if it's true the Beards were double-dealing, had an alliance with D and Gary and an alliance shown on air with the other two teams.

Maybe they decided they'd rather race against the other two teams for whatever reason, liked them more or thought they could be the other teams more easily than D/Gary, etc.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Maybe they decided they'd rather race against the other two teams for whatever reason, liked them more or thought they could be the other teams more easily than D/Gary, etc.

If the Beards gave Gary & DeAngelo the answer, they would have ended up in the final three with 1 team that knows they deliberately betrayed them.  By not honoring the agreement with G&D, the Beards go into the final three with 2 other teams that think they're all still friends.  The choice made sense to me.