Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Respect Your Purpose

Bort

Harvest and/or Christie Industries, if there is even a difference between the two, is starting to remind me of the Mad Magazine spoof of The Sting when Paul Newman announces they conned $200,000 out of Robert Shaw, but spent $250,000 to do it. At this point what they've done is so elaborate, and it's required so much money and so many technological advances, it would have been easier and probably more profitable to go straight.

I'm concerned it won't be possible to tie this together in a satisfying manner in the final 2 episodes.

I can't decide if the photo of Jessica's dad is supposed to be John Cusack in a really bad fake beard. Also, why are they so convinced the photo, which we now see includes Dr Stearns (Dwight from The Office (US)), is legitimate? It's not as if the conspiracy they're facing doesn't have the resources for Photoshop. I'm not saying the photo is fake, but it's something the characters should consider.

Utipia is also starting to remind me of the USA series The Dig from a few years back -- that's not a compliment -- but without the cute baby cow.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 1

I was trying to figure out why this show wasn't very engaging - then skimmed thru some reviews on RottenTomatoes and MetaCritic  (not the best reviews) .. and I think I know:  it is frustrating to watch people trying to figure out mysteries when you know most of the answers already.  The nerd squad doesn't seem so smart when they believe Dr. Mike (Basement Lab Guy) could be Mr. Rabbit. 

The real action seems to be happening at the evil Christie Corporation.  Jessica Hyde and the nerd squad do not seem to be active players - - they are just running for their lives and have only recently gotten all of the pages of Utopia to study.  So far, their biggest breakthrough was something from a photograph - not the comic. 
A big part of the show deals with what is happening with the 'big name' celebrity actors - and not the comicbook nerd characters. If we were learning things from the nerd squad's perspective, the tension could be mounting.  Instead, we are just waiting for them to catch up to what seems obvious.

Are all of the employees at the Christie Corporation part of their cult of sycophants that were raised from childhood? Everyone in the boardroom and internet influencing team seemed to be 'all in'.  With that many people, there should be one of two who aren't so excited to help cover up a national crisis. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1