Type keyword(s) to search

Acorn

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Subscribing to this network has been a great decision! I’m a true crime/murder fan so I’m in hog heaven. I can not recommend enough Line of Duty. It is incredibly written, great characters, and fascinating. Plus, it rewards longtime viewers with callbacks. There are 5 seasons (5-6 episodes) on Acorn. I wasn’t as amazed by season 4 - Thandie Newton’s character wasn’t that well-written.

There are only 2 seasons of London Kills. Which has an enjoyable cast and interesting plot lines.

If you like David Tennant, Deadwater Fell is excellent and disturbing.

Acorn just doesn’t only have British TV, it has Australian, Canadian, and New Zealand shows!

I’m watching a mediocre mystery The Sounds just for the New Zealand scenery shots.

Also, for fellow drama nerds, the Canadian comedy Slings and Arrows is great.

Anyone else have recommendations? Or want to dish on shows?

• Useful 1

I watched My Life is Murder on Acorn. It's a detective show from New Zealand starring Lucy Lawless. Very good show. Also watched newest season of Doc Martin. Martin Clunes also had a travel show. He is so different in his real life. Acorn is well worth the monthly subscription. Only $4.99/month.

• Love 1

I've been a major subscriber to Acorn since....I think it started last fall after I watched an episode of Agatha Raisin while on vacation in Ireland.  I've watched all of Agatha, but my favorite Acorn shows are Brokenwood Mysteries, a contemporary New Zealand detective show with great regulars and semi-regulars in the cast, and also Detectorists, which has its own thread here, but I just discovered it this year and loved it.  I enjoyed Doc Martin too though I hope they will follow through on the promised final season - they certainly left off Season 9 with a cliff-hanger.

I tried to find a new show this week so tried Bed of Roses, an Australian show about a rich woman whose husband suddenly drops dead leaving her nothing, so she and her family have to start over.  Unfortunately it's not grabbing me.  It may be partly the accents, which I can't always follow, but I think I expected it to be more serious than it is.  Given the premise, the light treatment doesn't do much for me.   However, others may like it, I guess, it has 3 seasons.

On 9/22/2020 at 10:30 PM, roseha said:

I've been a major subscriber to Acorn since....I think it started last fall after I watched an episode of Agatha Raisin while on vacation in Ireland.  I've watched all of Agatha, but my favorite Acorn shows are Brokenwood Mysteries, a contemporary New Zealand detective show with great regulars and semi-regulars in the cast, and also Detectorists, which has its own thread here, but I just discovered it this year and loved it.  I enjoyed Doc Martin too though I hope they will follow through on the promised final season - they certainly left off Season 9 with a cliff-hanger.

I tried to find a new show this week so tried Bed of Roses, an Australian show about a rich woman whose husband suddenly drops dead leaving her nothing, so she and her family have to start over.  Unfortunately it's not grabbing me.  It may be partly the accents, which I can't always follow, but I think I expected it to be more serious than it is.  Given the premise, the light treatment doesn't do much for me.   However, others may like it, I guess, it has 3 seasons.

I am adoring Brokenwood right now! Fun fact, half of cast of The Almighty Johnson’s show up. I adored The Other Ones for a good laugh and warm fuzzies.

I just started watching The Sounds and I like it a lot!  I have binged the first 3 episodes and I like that I can't really tell where it's going (not to give anything away).  But I do think that the mystery (which I guess will be self contained in these 8 episodes) seems to be complex and not just one story.

I noticed a writing credit on the second show for Tim Balme who is a frequent writer on Brokenwood.

There are only 2 seasons of London Kills. Which has an enjoyable cast and interesting plot lines.

I slogged through both seasons and wish I hadn't. There were way too many plot holes and implausibilities for me. But the cast was excellent.