Type keyword(s) to search

RPDR UK on Tour: God Shave the Queens

• Start Topic

Prepare yourself for God Shave the Queens! Each episode features the queens on the road during the RuPaul’s Drag Race UK European tour and the events that occur at each destination they head to.

So, what happens when you mix The Vivienne, Davina De Campo, Baga Chipz, Cheryl Hole, Blu Hydrangea, Crystal, Sum Ting Wong, Vinegar Strokes, Scaredy Kat, Gothy Kendoll – and Alyssa Edwards, who emceed the tour?

God Shave the Queens is your exclusive backstage pass into the queens’ lives on their very first tour together. You’ll get an intimate scope into the their lives on tour like you have never seen them before.

Less than a week after The Vivienne was crowned the UK’s first drag superstar, she and all the queens from Season 1 of RuPaul’s Drag Race UK embarked on a UK tour that carried them across six cities, from Newcastle to London, Birmingham to Manchester. Go onstage, backstage and behind the scenes as our cameras capture the good, the bad, the sickness and the madness! Here comes the drama, mama!

Promo:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

S1.E1: Mess Rehearsal

Some are on time. Some are not. Some can dance. Some cannot. Stateside Drag Race star Alyssa Edwards who promises to bring a seasoned and steady hand to the stage arrives to find our gaggle of UK queens scrambling to get their collective act together in time for curtain up, which is only hours away. From choreo to costumes, will the Season 1 queens be ready for opening night?

Original air date: 9/10/20

On a shallow note, I was really glad that they included everyone's names on the screen because it's been SO LONG since RPDR UK that although I recognized the queens and I remembered many of their names I didn't remember which names went with which queens right away. I needed a few more reminders!

It seems crazy to me that the tour started a week after the show ended. That is not a lot of time to learn and polish choreography for multiple routines. The first show of the tour took place in November 2019 so I wonder why it took so long to air this series.

Even though we've only had one episode so far, I prefer this show SO MUCH MORE than the garbage dramafest that RPDR Vegas Revue is. This is what I want to see: rehearsals, dancing, and backstage antics (aka not shit stirring reality show BS). I enjoyed Werq the World so I'm not surprised that I like God Shave the Queens. Bonus: Alyssa killing all the choreography in rehearsal!

• Love 1

S1.E2: Newcastle, New Show

After only three days of rehearsals, the UK queens – along with Drag Race legend, Alyssa Edwards – raise the curtain on the sold out opening night of the first-ever UK Drag Race tour. But a microphone malfunction threatens to silence the show before it even starts!

Original air date: 9/17/20

After four weeks of RPDR Vegas Revue and their endless reality show drama, God Shave the Queens is a breath of fresh air. I love that we are getting so much footage of the queens rehearsing, in their dressing rooms, and backstage. That is what I want to see! It was great to see them put together a show on such short notice and then have an awesome opening night.

Alyssa was a great choice as the non-UK queen added to this group. She was on top of everything, from making sure the list of names was posted backstage to being very supportive and encouraging of the queens. Her performance experience and her nurturing nature were a perfect addition. The way she stopped and talked to whichever queen said it was her first performance was very sweet.

I love all the silly backstage shenanigans with the queens goofing around and talking shit. I also love that these queens are so self deprecating. They obviously love making people laugh.

S1.E3: Without a Net

It’s a hometown show for a number of the queens as they bring their tour to the capital city. For the first time, Crystal is given the go-ahead to perform a risky aerial routine high above the London stage. No safety rope. No net. No second chances.

Original air date: 9/24/20

This show is delightful. This is what the Vegas show wishes it was. Just goes to show you...the raw material is probably there in both countries’ shows, but it’s up to the WOW show runners and editors to present it to us. I’m sure there many light-hearted moments in Vegas that aren’t contrived and manufactured, but the show runners think we won’t be interested unless there’s some beef and drama and beat us to death with it.

Unless the UK queens really are silly and funny and just happy to be there and grateful for the opportunity, and the US queens really are a bunch of miserable petty bitches, in which case my apologies WOW show runners and editors.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Supagirl said:

This is what the Vegas show wishes it was.

Unfortunately, I think the Vegas show is exactly what it wants to be. For some reason, the producers think we want that Real Housewives of Drag Race manufactured drama. WOW is perfectly capable of creating a candid reality show about the backstage lives of drag queens on tour. They did it for two seasons of Werq the World. I have no idea why they decided that the Vegas version should be so fraught with Derrick fueled drama when it's so unnecessary. Thank goodness they didn't go that route with the UK tour. I spend most of the Vegas episodes rolling my eyes which just makes God Shave the Queens that much better in comparison. The UK queens are just putting on a show and going about it the best they can. There's no shit stirring and hang wringing about what everyone else is doing. It's so fun to just see what the UK queens are up to behind the scenes!

• Love 3

This show continues to be a delight. I loved seeing everyone scramble to adjust to the smaller stage and talking about how to deal with being backstage since there were no wings at this tiny theater. You'd think that a theater with a 2000+ seat capacity would have a larger stage!

I loved how blunt Crystal was about her circus and aerial skills. There are SO many people who learn circus skills and instantly think that they're professionals so it was refreshing to hear her say that she's been practicing for 5-6 years but that what she was doing in the show was pretty basic for anyone familiar with cirque skills. I was surprised that they didn't put down anything underneath her. I know professional aerialists who at least put a mat underneath their performance space in situations like that. Honestly, a mat like that isn't going to save you if you fall, but still. I loved how all the queens reacted to seeing Crystal's routine too. Alyssa's reaction was great. And A+ for Crystal rehearsing with her costume and boots (which is the professional thing to do!).

I loved the dressing room tours and watching the queens interact with everyone during the meet and greet. Honestly, starting the show ten minutes late is not a big deal. I'd rather that everyone had the opportunity to do their meet and greets without being rushed if that means starting the show a little bit late. It sucks when you go to a meet and greet and you only get two seconds with whoever it is. It's really not enjoyable to stand in line for that long just to have a handler shove you out the door as quickly as possible.

It was great to see that everyone was more relaxed and comfortable after they got their first show done. Ha, but of course Alyssa was still herding cats and cracking the whip. Someone always ends up having to be that person!

• Love 1

I've watched the ep 4 yesterday, and I was surprised that The Vivienne was drinking. Didn't she said during RPDR that she was sober ? Am I confusing with another queen ?

Edited by Diane Mars

S1.E4: Birmingham Untucked

The queens hit a local drag show on their first night off from the tour. Bear-magnet, Vinegar, finds some action at the club while others cut out early, including Divina, whose worsening flu continues to plague the Season 1 runner-up.

Original air date: 10/1/20

S1.E4 - this was such a fun episode to watch. I love seeing the queens just hang out and have fun. And I was totally surprised when Michael from S10 of GBBO showed up in Blu Hydrangea's car!

Poor Divina. It sucks being sick when you have to perform. I hope that vitamin C kicks in!

• Love 1

S1.E5 - whoever didn't do the 10 minute and places calls is to blame for what happened, not any of the performers. If you've ever worked in theater, even total amateur productions, you know that there is always an announcement telling you it's time to get your ass on stage. I can't believe someone just started playing the music and expected the queens to be there.

But I totally loved how calm Alyssa was and handled it like a pro. In any kind of live performance, there's always an element of risk because you don't know what might happen. The trick is just to make the audience believe that what they're seeing is exactly what was supposed to happen.

• Love 1

S1.E6: Is Sum Ting Wong?

Cold and flu season has the queens struggling to make it through the tour. First Divina, then Blu. Now Sum Ting, who’s been battling a cough since the start, has lost her voice. With no backing tracks available, will she be able to pull off her solo?

Original air date: 10/15/20

S1.E7: The Kids Are Alright

We think we’ve seen the future of drag. And her name is Kyle. It’s an all-ages show in Glasgow and Alyssa Edwards is moved, while Crystal's death-defying act causes a medical emergency for a member of the audience.

Original air date: 10/22/20

S1.E8: Stuffing Their Stockings

It’s the final night of the tour. And it's Christmastime! Secret Santa is coming to town and it looks like she’s bearing gifts for queens that have been more naughty than nice. No Silent Night here. These girls are going out with a bang!

Original air date: 10/29/20

On 10/3/2020 at 2:18 AM, Diane Mars said:

I've watched the ep 4 yesterday, and I was surprised that The Vivienne was drinking. Didn't she said during RPDR that she was sober ? Am I confusing with another queen ?

I think she's clean from drugs, but obviously not sober sober.

I marathoned this over the weekend, and absolutely loved it! 

Edited by Victim Noises
  • Love 1

S2 premieres on January 14th in the UK (and January 16th in the United States)!

some of the celebrities who will appear on S2 have been announced

So far the list includes MNEK, 'Spotlight' singer Jessie Ware, supermodel Jourdan Dunn, Vicar of Dibley star Dawn French, Gavin and Stacey's Sheridan Smith, presenters Lorraine Kelly and Maya Jama, Austin Powers actor Elizabeth Hurley, creative director and choreographer Jay Revell, DJ Jodie Harsh, Raven (who found fame on the US version's second season) and EastEnders star Natalie Cassidy.