Type keyword(s) to search

Rory’s life

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

To be fair, Chris and Sherry were basically broken up by that point, and would have been for good if Sherry hadn't found out she was pregnant and they decided to stay together. And that wasn't just Chris making excuses, Sherry herself confirmed it to Lorelai at the baby shower.

Yeah, I don't think that counts as cheating since both Chris and Sherry thought it was over. If she hadn't been pregnant they would have broken up.  

• Like 2
On 6/1/2024 at 1:21 PM, Taryn74 said:

IMO Rory only ever aspired to be Christiane Amanpour because she had dreams of traveling and doing something exciting, not because she wanted to actually be any kind of journalist. Even Jess in Teach Me Tonight was like, you want to do what now? when Rory was going on about it. LOL. If things didn't move in a plot-driven way, Jess' reaction would have started sowing the seeds of doubt in her regarding her plans for her life. Rory really only ever seemed like she was doing something that actually set her soul on fire when she was working on The Franklin at Chilton, and when she was planning stuff for the DAR in S6.

And honestly, if the show was going to insist that this was truly Rory's dream, she should have been going ga-ga over Rachel in S2. Rachel actually did travel the world as a photojournalist and did all the things Rory supposedly wanted to do, but Rory basically ignored Rachel altogether other than to commiserate with Lorelai about how perfect she was.

This is my take, as well. I would have liked it if the show had gone in a completely different direction and had her discover that she liked the life she was living planning social events for the DAR. We could see how her mother reacted to learning Rory wanted to be more like Emily than either had ever originally thought. We could see Richard struggling with the complicated emotions of loving his wife but wanting more for his granddaughter while trying to not hurt Emily with those feelings. We could see how Logan feels about Rory when she is no longer his "Ace" but is embracing the life of a socialite. We can see how the Huntsbergers feel about Rory when she no longer "wants to work" as that was their big issue in the beginning. And that's to say nothing for exploring Rory's complicated reaction to giving up what she thought she wanted her entire life and embracing a lifestyle her mother spent 20 years running away from.

• Like 4
23 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

This is my take, as well. I would have liked it if the show had gone in a completely different direction and had her discover that she liked the life she was living planning social events for the DAR. We could see how her mother reacted to learning Rory wanted to be more like Emily than either had ever originally thought. We could see Richard struggling with the complicated emotions of loving his wife but wanting more for his granddaughter while trying to not hurt Emily with those feelings. We could see how Logan feels about Rory when she is no longer his "Ace" but is embracing the life of a socialite. We can see how the Huntsbergers feel about Rory when she no longer "wants to work" as that was their big issue in the beginning. And that's to say nothing for exploring Rory's complicated reaction to giving up what she thought she wanted her entire life and embracing a lifestyle her mother spent 20 years running away from.

That wouldn't have surprised me. Rory really liked that life. She liked the golf club and parties. She joined the DAR and remained in it to the end of the season and she really like organizing the fundraiser. 

• Like 3
On 6/3/2024 at 11:11 PM, Taryn74 said:

To be fair, Chris and Sherry were basically broken up by that point, and would have been for good if Sherry hadn't found out she was pregnant and they decided to stay together. And that wasn't just Chris making excuses, Sherry herself confirmed it to Lorelai at the baby shower.

image.png.7fc381c72643e78402b206733e57bc3e.png

• LOL 5
On 5/31/2024 at 4:47 AM, qtpye said:

I have a serious question.

Why was Rory so hellbent on being a journalist?  She seemed to pick that job like small children say they want to be a ballerina cowgirl astronaut. 

She would have been better suited to Academia, perhaps as an English professor.

You know her grandparents would happily have paid her bills while she got her PhD. 

I have seen people being stubborn about what they wanted as children/teenagers even once they realized they are not that suited for it. And Rory gets a lot of stubbornness from Lorelei and Emily. I can see her being inspired by someone like Christiane Amanpour, she seems to be an amazing person, but we can admire someone and want to be like them without wanting to do the exact same things. 

I think Rory would be suited for teaching and/or writing novels, or running a local newspaper if those were still a big thing. 

Or, to make a crossover with another show, there was a TV show called The Bold Type about three young women working for a women's magazine a few years ago. It was good, but it received some criticism over how idealized the portrayal of the job was. One of the main characters basically had free reign and could write whatever she wanted, wasn't very good at receiving criticism and still made a great career. I can see Rory working in a job like that, lol.

But anyway, Rory thriving in high school and then facing difficulties at college and work and having trouble dealing with changes and insecurity is one of the most realistic and relatable things on this show, IMO.  

• Like 5