Type keyword(s) to search

Shtisel - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I kind of feel like Shulem’s story did wrap up...he made peace with Akiva, and with his brother, and their choices.  iI loved the last scene at at the dining room table where the ghosts and the living ate a meal together.  I really thought it was a wonderful show;

• Love 4

I don't think I could love this show more. It's so beautifully human and intimate and just wonderful.

I watched the entire season today. Sunday from noon until 11pm. My husband came home from a movie and I was curled in the same chair.

I cried like a baby when Akiva saw the paintings in the gallery. 

But I really loved the scene where Kiva tried to paint Racheli but Libbi's ghost interrupted. I held my breath when Racheli opened the door and asked the ghost to leave.

My gosh what an emotionally gorgeous scene. Well done by these writers. They are at the top of their game.

• Love 3
On 8/26/2020 at 2:12 PM, ItsJessMe said:

If you want a similar series, watch Srugim, about modern orthodox singles in Israel.  I ADORED that show!

Thank you!  We are a few episodes into the 2nd season of Srugim and loving it.  Even when I can see what is coming, the show portrays it so honestly and unsentimentally.  It's lovely.

• Love 1

I just finished the series and thoroughly enjoyed it. I watched Unorthodox some time ago and I thought it was great and that Shira Haas was excellent. It was the first show I had seen about Orthodox Jews, and I found the whole culture stifling and dismissive of women.

I followed that with Srugim, which was lighter and a fun watch, and it made me open my mind a bit more about what I was seeing. The characters in Srugim are religious, but not orthodox (at least that was my interpretation from my secular POV-there weren’t matches and sidelocks, but the wigs and skirts were expected). 

By the end of Shtisel, I felt that while that’s not a life I would be satisfied with, I ended up at least sympathizing with all of the characters to some degree. The show did an excellent job of humanizing all of the characters. At different times I wanted to ring Giti/Shulem/Nuchem/Hanina/Lippe/Ruchami/Akiva’s necks, but they were all so well written and portrayed that I also felt for them. The show used humor, dreams and flashbacks effectively to add depth to the characters.

I think it’s interesting that women aren’t seen as equals but they are the glue that holds it all together-they are the breadwinners in many cases, and they manage everything in the house. And it made me wonder where the money comes from to pay men a salary to basically study the Torah all day and essentially promote a belief system that dictates virtually everything in your personal life. I was also struck that as with every religion, there’s always someone who is “religious” but not necessarily ethical (Nuchem trying to take Nachma’s lottery winnings for example).

Finally, shows like these are helpful to me for understanding how people develop and adhere to their beliefs. I’ve thought a lot about that with the whole Qanon thing lately (and I’m not comparing Orthodox Judaism to that)-how people can live in a reality that is so different from anything I’ve ever experienced. It is a little jarring that I would be considered one of those “damn evil people” that was occasionally referred to in the show, but even though I don’t find their lives appealing, I have a better understanding of how they think and feel.

And oh yes-I did have a soft spot for Lippe and Akiva, bless their rebellious hearts. The guy who played Lippe was a non religious professor in Srugim and he was delightful.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Maysie said:

I followed that with Srugim, which was lighter and a fun watch, and it made me open my mind a bit more about what I was seeing. The characters in Srugim are religious, but not orthodox (at least that was my interpretation from my secular POV-there weren’t matches and sidelocks, but the wigs and skirts were expected). 

I believe the Srugim characters were Orthodox, in that they kept kosher and followed rabbinic law regarding sexual relations, prayer rituals, Sabbath observations, etc. They were not ultra-orthodox, which applies to the Shtisel family.  My husband and I watched Shtisel earlier and just finished Srugim last night.  I miss it already! 

• Love 2

Just watched the HBO movie Oslo, which is excellent.  What a treat to see Dov Glickman (Shulem) as an Israeli professor and Sasson Gabay (Nukhem) as Shimon Peres.  For those who have watched Unorthodox, be on the lookout for Jeff Wilbusch (Moishe) as well!

• Love 2

Well I have ((finally)) started watching the series.I understand now -----ha a little late to the game-- why it was/is so popular. 

I do find the subtitles not very user friendly especially when the white writing is shown on a low contrast background, and I am still confused with some of the dream sequences but nonetheless , very taken in by the series.

(I have watched about 6 of season 1).

I keep noticing how incredibly well the actors in the series are able to show expression with body language and more importantly their faces.

• Love 2
On 6/27/2021 at 6:25 PM, Maysie said:

I think it’s interesting that women aren’t seen as equals but they are the glue that holds it all together-they are the breadwinners in many cases, and they manage everything in the house. And it made me wonder where the money comes from to pay men a salary to basically study the Torah all day and essentially promote a belief system that dictates virtually everything in your personal life.

The men in these stories who study the Torah all day are basically on welfare…the government pays them a stipend to study.  Secular Israelis are distressed by it, because it raises taxes, but because the orthodox/Ultra orthodox are the current majority the law won’t change any time soon.

• Love 2