Type keyword(s) to search

Gentefied - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Netflix classifies this as a comedy; although I'm not sure if I would.  It felt more like a light drama with some funny moments.  

I thought this was a pretty interesting look at gentrification, especially when there was a struggle between individual opportunity comes up against the effect it'd have on the community--and whether or not it can even be stopped.  

I started watching it because I thought it'd be a quick thing to watch while cooking and I ended up watching the whole thing. 

I loved the cast and it was fun to see Yvette Nicole Brown show up. 

• Love 1

I just found this show tonight while scrolling for something to watch. I don’t know if I just wasn’t paying attention, but I haven’t seen any promotion for this show and I’m 7 episodes in and I absolutely love it.

I don’t know if it was because it reminded me of my brother-in-law and nephew, or I’m maybe pms-ing, lol. But the last 5 minutes of episode 6 had me straight up ugly crying. Like I was basically sobbing. 😭😭 

Damn! 😭 last 5 minutes of episode 7 too.😭

Edited by Izzy85
  • Love 1
On 2/23/2020 at 1:14 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Netflix classifies this as a comedy; although I'm not sure if I would.  It felt more like a light drama with some funny moments.  

I thought this was a pretty interesting look at gentrification, especially when there was a struggle between individual opportunity comes up against the effect it'd have on the community--and whether or not it can even be stopped.  

I started watching it because I thought it'd be a quick thing to watch while cooking and I ended up watching the whole thing. 

I loved the cast and it was fun to see Yvette Nicole Brown show up. 

Yeah I’d definitely say it’s a dramedy. When I found it I thought I was just gonna watch like 1 or 2 episodes but I watched the entire thing too. 😆 

• Love 2

ep 9: I understand Yessika's passion but her fight against Mama Fina's in the food tour still seems extremely short-sighted to me. The restaurant was behind in its rent and in danger of eviction. If they appeal to the gentrifiers that's not great but if they don't and close, who's gonna replace Mama Fina's? That landlord Rob is 100% gonna get a gentrifier (or gentefier) business in there anyways.

ep 10: ... yeah, like if Rob sells the property to a lady who wants to make it a pop-up food joint.

I liked that Javier compromised on his principles and made some decent money as a mariachi for once. And I also kinda like and respect the show that it was too little too late and he'd still be moving to Bakersfield and giving up his dream, but ouch.

• Love 1

‘Gentefied’: Clarissa Thibeaux, Manuel Uriza, Ivana Rojas, Melinna Bobadilla Join Netflix Dramedy As Recurring

Clarissa.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

(L-R) Manuel Uriza, Melinna Bobadilla, Clarissa Thibeaux and Ivana Rojas

Manuel Uriza will play Ernesto Morales, Pop’s estranged, oldest son. By any measure, the personification of the American Dream, Pop has never forgiven him for moving his family from East LA to the calmer suburbs of Boise, Idaho. Unlike the rest of the family, Ernesto is the only one who can stand up to Pop, as their relationship reaches a boiling point.

Melinna Bobadilla will play Melinna Barragan, a fierce non-profit lawyer, she’s down for her community, even if it means working pro-bono. If your prima with the big hoops who always got into fights got her law degree at ELAC – that would be Melinna. Passionate and fierce, she treats her clients like family.

Clarissa Thibeaux will play Bree Solano, a successful, queer advertising executive, specializing in finding emerging artists. She commands the boardrooms with a suave attitude, and she’ll charm you into buying seeds during a drought.

Ivana Rojas will portray Sarai Damian. An up-and coming Chef, Sarai is career-focused, hella ambitious, and a truth-teller. She knows what she wants and she isn’t willing to compromise her dream for anyone. We meet her as she is about to be catapulted into her biggest career high, but it comes with a big price to pay.

The Thanksgiving episode had me crying laughing. "Y la estatua de las boobies. Esa qué?" Why, oh why, did Lupe ask about their couples therapy? I'm still not convinced that Erik and Lidia should be together. They seem mismatched.

My other favorite moment was Yessika telling off the Uber driver.

I don't get what the immigration judge was trying to pull with Pop. Chatting about breakfast in one sentence, then disparaging him in the next?