Type keyword(s) to search

The 5 Biggest Bad-Asses In American (Drunk) History

I know you've said a bunch of times on the podcast that you don't really read any more, but I highly recommend River of Doubt by Candice Millard. It's about Roosevelt's trip down an unmapped river in the Amazon. Hard to imagine any recent president completing a similar feat, and I don't know why it's not a movie already (although I think there was a PBS special).

As someone who has spent the better part of 15 years reading and researching Billy the Kid history I can tell you that his Drunk History was surprisingly accurate considering it was told by a drunk dude on Comedy Central. I've seen shows on the History Channel that didn't even come close to being as factual. The native New Mexicans did love him, he had LOTS of girlfriends, and Joe Grant was a total asshole. (Side note: a few hours earlier Grant, being a bullying asshole, had stolen that pearl-handled gun from someone else in the bar and Billy, having a feeling that something bad was going to happen, did ask to see it and spun the barrel to an empty chamber. Later on, Grant started threatening the guy Billy was sitting with because he'd mistaken him for the guy's brother and when Billy tried to explain that he was mistaken, Grant called him a liar. Billy turned to ignore him, Grant fired his empty round at Billy's back and, hearing the *click*, Billy spun around and fired three shots into Grant's head.)

• Love 2
As a(nother) Canadian, I'm finding this to be the most fantastic way to learn about American History.

As an American, most of our knowledge of Canada is: hockey, cold, aboat, nice people, good snipers and we didn't get ya in the War of 1812. It's interesting to know that you are very similar to the US in terms of treatment of the Chinese working on the railroads and First Nations.

• Love 1