Type keyword(s) to search

Armchair Detectives: Nancy Drew Speculation

• Start Topic

I thought it might be nice to have a place to discuss ongoing theories to the long term mysteries and ideas for what's going to happen next. 

Unrelated to the current mysteries, it popped into my head to wonder if doing Nancy Drew with supernatural mysteries might be the CW's way of setting up an extended universe to eventually introduce the Hardy Boys and have them pick up the torch where Supernatural left off. 

18 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Supernatural elements make it not necessary to have clues that the viewer can follow to their logical conclusion. So far I am hard pressed to remember anything that Nancy solved using detective work.

That's the thing that disappointed me. A mystery, when it's anything other than played 100% straight, is basically not a mystery at all. It was one of the reasons I couldn't take Scream Queens seriously as a mystery show to be solved.

A normal detective talks to witnesses, and on this show, Nancy mainly talks to ghosts instead.  With several episodes, the obstacle has been how to get in touch with the ghost in question.  Are there any differences between witnesses and ghosts?  

A normal detective looks for evidence.  Lucy's murder is a cold case so evidence is limited.  Sometimes, the ghost has to lead Nancy to the evidence (eg. the photo of Lucy & Karen, or the video tape in the time capsule).  

Tiffany's murder has had some evidence, such as the USB drive, but it seemed like Nick generally figures stuff out off-camera and tells Nancy.

Based on the information they've given us in the first part of the season, the obvious culprit for both murders are the Hudsons.  But it will likely be a convoluted case of multiple perpetrators.  Lucy's murder will probably involve Karen and Nancy's mother but ultimately it will be the Hudsons.  And Tiffany's murder may end up being a "shocker" like Bess' girlfriend or Owen Marvin.  I can't say I'm that intrigued, though.

16 minutes ago, Camera One said:

A normal detective talks to witnesses, and on this show, Nancy mainly talks to ghosts instead.  With several episodes, the obstacle has been how to get in touch with the ghost in question.  Are there any differences between witnesses and ghosts?  

Biggest difference you find witness, ghost finds you.

I think most of us agree Ryan is not Lucy's murderer. 

I'm thinking the most probable reveal (which I assume will be the season finale) would either be Karen or Owen, maybe both of them.  They pulled out a barely seen character for Tiffany's killer, and I don't think it would work for Lucy's killer.  

Karen being the killer wouldn't be very satisfying or lead to any real story, since she hardly appears and it's hard to buy her as Nancy's beloved family friend, or even Carson's girlfriend.

I can see Owen being the murderer as a way to make all the romantic triangles messy.  If Nancy trusted Owen before finding out he was the murderer, there would be more drama to play.  Nancy would blame herself, and maybe last minute, Nick rescues her which leads to a kiss which breaks up his budding relationship with George or something annoying like that.

Ryan's mother would be the most logical choice, but I think she might be too obvious.  Plus, we've hardly seen her.  

Then, there's Nancy's parents who are involved somehow.

I suppose it could be all of the above.  Karen and Nancy's mother accidentally get Lucy hurt, so they panic and run for help, and then Nancy's father helps them to cover, but Lucy's actually alive and Owen tries to kill her and then we find out Ryan's mother blackmailed Owen to hurt Lucy. 

And then either Karen, Owen or Ryan's mother turns out up dead and now we have a murder mystery for Season 2.  I'm sorry but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....