Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5: Speculation WITHOUT Spoilers

OK, I am double-posting because I wanted to keep my speculation separate from the thread description. 

I think the show is at it's best when we have Nathan, Audrey, and Duke against the world rather than trying to splinter up the group and have that be the tension.  The idea of Mara was kind of worrying me because it took me a while to adjust to Lexie and Mara seems worse.

That said, I was re-watching some of the past seasons and thinking about Mara and where the show is going with who Audrey really is.  [For the sake of clarity I'm going to call all the past and future incarnations of Audrey the "Audreys."] Early on, the show hinted that even though the Audreys had different memories they were always still the same person at heart, the same good woman in a storm trying to help others.  Now we're told that Mara is the original Audrey and in reality she is someone who would rather hurt people than help them. O-kay.  So if anything, shouldn't Mara's personality have been what showed through on all the Audreys? But she wasn't.

So this leads me to believe that if you wiped Mara's memory and left her blank she would be that good woman in the storm, her nature is to be that woman.  So, does that mean nurture is what made her be the way she is? Are we going to have to hear a Mara hard luck story?  Also, do you guys think Audrey and Mara will be vying for control of Audrey's body, or do you think it will be just Mara or just Audrey in control when we return?

So if anything, shouldn't Mara's personality have been what showed through on all the Audreys? But she wasn't.

I don't think we've seen enough of Mara to truly know what her personality is like or why she did the things she did. Howard seemed really empathetic with Audrey in the S3 finale, even calling her 'very very human". Was he talking about just the Havensaver personalities or the orginal Mara herself?

About Audrey and Mara vying for control, I personally would like it to be all Mara at the beginning because of all the hype and build up about Mara and how evil she is and how destructive she would be for Haven.  I don't want it to just be dropped with a quick return of Audrey Parker.  Mara may reluctantly help the team because they need to find a way to re open the door and get William back and perhaps being separated from William makes her less 'troublesome' though it appeared to me that she was the one with the upper hand in their relationship. This process of helping the crew may then lead to glimpses of Audrey Parker if they are going with most of the season with Mara.

I agree; I don't want an "easy fix" for Mara.  She's our final gateway to the mystery (discounting Duke's mysterious box, which has probably been forgotten by the showrunners), she's capricious and perverse* and I want to see a process that preserves some of her and amalgamates her with the "good woman in the storm" and that is worthy of the double-length season we're getting.  As I said frequently on TWoP, "our Audrey" is a fiction, a set of implanted stolen memories, and to strictly look for her to return as the heroine does a disservice to Mara, who appears to be the true personality she was born with.

** Thanks to my AP English teacher making me read Jude the Obscure, I know to use that word in this context :) .

• Love 2

I don't think we've seen enough of Mara to truly know what her personality is like or why she did the things she did. Howard seemed really empathetic with Audrey in the S3 finale, even calling her 'very very human". Was he talking about just the Havensaver personalities or the orginal Mara herself?

True, we haven't really seen much of Mara yet, but we have seen Audrey's reaction to feeling the Mara personality and we've had some Mara flashbacks where she described breaking every rule with William as fun.  The Audreys may be very human but Mara seems like a bit of a sociopath.  I am interested to see where they're going with it.

I agree; I don't want an "easy fix" for Mara.  She's our final gateway to the mystery (discounting Duke's mysterious box, which has probably been forgotten by the showrunners), she's capricious and perverse* and I want to see a process that preserves some of her and amalgamates her with the "good woman in the storm" and that is worthy of the double-length season we're getting.  As I said frequently on TWoP, "our Audrey" is a fiction, a set of implanted stolen memories, and to strictly look for her to return as the heroine does a disservice to Mara, who appears to be the true personality she was born with.

** Thanks to my AP English teacher making me read Jude the Obscure, I know to use that word in this context :) .

Well said.  I am curious what the final version of "Audrey" will be once all is said and done.

We saw what Mara was like in flashbacks, but we don't yet know what present-day Mara will be like, after having gone through centuries of "community service" as the various Haven Savers. It all depends on what she remembers of that time and how influenced she'll be by having been those selfless, caring people. She could start off trying to be full-on Mara and then discover that it's not very much fun anymore because she can't help but think about what's happening to the people she's tormenting. That may be the process we see happening, as she has to integrate her experiences with herself and come to terms with it all, and that could also be the conflict, depending on where the various other characters fall. Nathan could either remain a true believer in her and be the one trying to help her find her better self, or he could finally just snap completely and decide he's been through too much because of this woman. Ditto for Duke. Dwight might be able to be more objective because he has the least personal connection to Audrey.

One reason I like this show is that I never can really predict it. I've never been entirely right about what's going on in a season cliffhanger, other than being pretty sure that our Audrey was the actual imposter at the end of season one and guessing that Audrey would rescue herself from her abduction at the end of season two. I'm always entirely wrong about the direction the plots take.

Mara could also have been a fairly decent person who got pulled into William's thrall, and corrupted by him and by the process of creating the Troubles. It does seem like there is something elemental in "Audrey" and her other personalities that one would think would be present in Mara too.