Type keyword(s) to search

DI Robbie Lewis: The Geordie Copper

Kevin Whateley's got to be one of the more unlikely stars of a TV series, ever.  I can barely understand what he's saying and I've spent years watching British films and TV.  I think I actually like him better than Morse (don't hit me!).  I came to Morse/Lewis through Endeavour so I'm caught up on Endeavour, watched the first 15 of Morse (the only ones currently available on Netflix) and am now working my way through the available streaming eps of Lewis.  I think I like Lewis/Hathaway better than Lewis/Morse - Morse got up my nose with his whole "look at this pretty lady, there's no way I can lock her up forever" shtick.  They've given Lewis a tiny bit of this but he doesn't creep me out as much as John Thaw did (yes, I thought he had a creepy old man vibe). 

• Love 1

The Lewis-Hathaway relationship is more similar to the Thursday-Endeavour relationship, imo. Besides, I think Lewis is just a nice guy to begin with, unlike Morse who had a lot of emotional baggage.

It's a shame that they only mention Lewis' daughter in the Lewis series and don't mention his son at all.

• Love 1

I was watching an early Miss Marple - a Joan Hickson - A Murder is Announced.  And guess who played the Detective Sergeant.  None of than our own Kevin Whatley.  I think it was just a few years before he got the Lewis gig.  Heh, and it was a very early Lewis like character.  Except he wore a sweater vest.  

• Love 4

I was watching an early Miss Marple - a Joan Hickson - A Murder is Announced.  And guess who played the Detective Sergeant.  None of than our own Kevin Whatley.  I think it was just a few years before he got the Lewis gig.  Heh, and it was a very early Lewis like character.  Except he wore a sweater vest.  

WETA UK is airing the Lewis series right after Inspector Morse. I didn't realize how angry Robbie was about Val's death. Last night's episode was Whom The Gods Would Destroy and poor Robbie was seething at Platt (IIRC on TWOP he was nicknamed Puppy Chow Guy for obvious reasons......)

If other WETA UK viewers are interested, I'll start a Past Series Thread or a Series One Thread.

Inspector Lewis, the character, oftentimes, has seemed somewhat dim to me. For instance, in the season 8, episode 5, he runs about clumsily, ranting while making inept decisions and conclusions in an extremely cloddish fashion. I know that I listed only the one episode of quite a few, but seeing him lurch around brought forth my aggravation with the character. Actually, it may be the actor, Kevin Whately. He irked me on (inspector) George Gently and The Broker's Man as well.

However, despite my frustration and slight disgust, I really do like the show--and MUCH more than Inspector Morse.

*( I do love Endeavour)

Edited by BookElitist