Type keyword(s) to search

Watchmen: The Book

From my original post in the Anticipation thread:

My advice:

1. Read [the book]

2. Be disappointed by any and all adaptations.

Dont even think of the Before Watchmen books or Doomsday Clock. The original stands on its own as one of the best comic stories ever.

I think it’s still applicable. Watching the first episode, I’m pleased to say there might be more than shallow storytelling and shoutouts to those familiar with the original series.

Honestly, Watchmen might be the best comic story ever made. At minimum, it’s on the short list. I can’t imagine what it was like when it originally came out over twelve issues, at a time where communication between fans was nowhere near as easy as the early days of widespread Internet usage one decade later.

• Love 2
On 10/21/2019 at 8:19 PM, Lantern7 said:

Honestly, Watchmen might be the best comic story ever made. At minimum, it’s on the short list. I can’t imagine what it was like when it originally came out over twelve issues, at a time where communication between fans was nowhere near as easy as the early days of widespread Internet usage one decade later.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.  As do I. 

So much of what that book did was groundbreaking for comic books -- the presence of supplementary materials and the telling of stories from shifting first-person perspectives were both new things that stick out, as of course was such notions as superheroes having s-e-x or darker impulses.

The biggest difference wasn't the lack of internet discussion or the wait between issues, but that it came out at a time when most people thought of Adam West's Batman as the best summary of what comics were like. 

• Love 2

A really fantastic riff on Watchmen is the “Watchmen” issue — more properly known as “Pax Americana” — of Grant Morrison’s Multiversity miniseries for DC. Like Watchmen, it uses the Charlton characters, except without having to rename them. It (mostly) holds to an eight panel grid, where Watchmen famously used a nine panel grid. It’s formally jewel-like in its precise construction. Would highly recommend for fans of Watchmen, though a fair bit of it is to service the larger Multiversity story.