Type keyword(s) to search

Gloria Bell (2019)

• Start Topic

I remember back when The Secret of Roan Inish came out, I thought the seal should be nominated for an Academy Award. 

Now, with Gloria Bell, I'm going even further, and think Julianne Moore's glasses should be nominated in the supporting actor/actress category.  Unfortunately, it's early in the year and their performance will likely be forgotten when the nominations are made next year.  It's a shame.

• Love 1

I saw this tonight, and thought it was okay.  What I appreciated most (and probably what I was supposed to appreciate most) was the portrayal of a woman of a certain age.  She wasn't just sitting at home, knitting or whatever, she was out at the bar, dancing and drinking, and just generally living life to the fullest.  I am a little jealous, though, that there is such a bar for people of a certain age.  Around here, it's all 20-somethings in all the bars.

Mostly it was a nice character study. 

On 4/23/2019 at 6:34 PM, Browncoat said:

I saw this tonight, and thought it was okay.  What I appreciated most (and probably what I was supposed to appreciate most) was the portrayal of a woman of a certain age.  She wasn't just sitting at home, knitting or whatever, she was out at the bar, dancing and drinking, and just generally living life to the fullest.  I am a little jealous, though, that there is such a bar for people of a certain age.  Around here, it's all 20-somethings in all the bars.

Mostly it was a nice character study. 

My basic impression was the same -- okay as a movie, interesting as a character study. I deeply appreciated how she kept putting herself out there. As someone who has a history of *not* doing that, I found her bravery to be lovely. 

I had the same envy about her having this bar to go to! Near me there are a couple of "older" bars. The people in mine tend to be a lot more sad/old/unattractive than in her world. (Then again, I don't look as good as her either.) I've been a few times, just to dance, but definitely not to pick anyone up. 🙂

• Love 2
21 hours ago, snarktini said:

(Then again, I don't look as good as her either.)

I know people always say the original is better, and I'm going to do it with this movie.  The original, Gloria, from Chile, is better, in large part because of Paulina Garcia.  She definitely didn't look as good as Julianne Moore (even with the award-level glasses bringing Moore down).

• Love 1