Type keyword(s) to search

Which actress most resembles the book Anne?

I'm not talking about characterization or acting. I'm talking about looks. Which Anne actress most resembles how she was described in the book. 

Despite my love for Megan Follows and her portrayal of Anne, I think she's a little too pretty. I think Amybeth McNulty probably resembles how Anne is described in the book more than Megan did.

• Love 5

One of my biggest disappointments in this series is that visually speaking, I think both cast and setting are perfection. If none of them ever talked I would think the series the absolute best living illustration of the Anne books possible.

So yeah, Amybeth is definitely the best-looking Anne, as far as I'm concerned. I do hope they'll start making her up soon (there's really no good reason for her skirts to be as short as they have been until now, and literally no other girl on the series wears braids, so why should she?) to keep with Anne eventually growing into a beauty.

Did you watch the second season?

I couldn't bring myself to do it. They just took all of the joy out of Anne. She was always an optimist and a dreamer who wanted the best out of life. This show turned her into someone who dwells on the horrors of the world and laments and worries. Why take Anne and turn her story into something dark and gritty? It's ruined it.

• Love 1
On 2/25/2019 at 11:07 PM, Aryanna said:

I'm not talking about characterization or acting. I'm talking about looks. Which Anne actress most resembles how she was described in the book. 

Despite my love for Megan Follows and her portrayal of Anne, I think she's a little too pretty. I think Amybeth McNulty probably resembles how Anne is described in the book more than Megan did.

Megan was too pretty and not really skinny as Anne was when she arrived from the orphanage. The only thing that marked her as allegedly ugly or homely was the red hair. Older Anne is also supposed to be tall, which Megan wasn't. Schuyler Grant, who played Diana, was taller.

I think the area where Amybeth falls short looks-wise is that her hair is too straight and her braids look thin.

For reference, from the book:

A child of about eleven, garbed in a very short, very tight, very ugly dress of yellowish-gray wincey. She wore a faded brown sailor hat and beneath the hat, extending down her back, were two braids of very thick, decidedly red hair. Her face was small, white and thin, also much freckled; her mouth was large and so were her eyes, which looked green in some lights and moods and gray in others.

So far, the ordinary observer; an extraordinary observer might have seen that the chin was very pointed and pronounced; that the big eyes were full of spirit and vivacity; that the mouth was sweet-lipped and expressive; that the forehead was broad and full[...]

“Your nose is well enough,” said Marilla shortly. Secretly she thought Anne’s nose was a remarkable pretty one; but she had no intention of telling her so.

"I never thought I was vain about my hair, of all things, but now I know I was, in spite of its being red, because it was so long and thick and curly."

• Love 1
On 3/2/2019 at 8:37 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

Megan was too pretty and not really skinny as Anne was when she arrived from the orphanage. The only thing that marked her as allegedly ugly or homely was the red hair. Older Anne is also supposed to be tall, which Megan wasn't. Schuyler Grant, who played Diana, was taller.

I think the area where Amybeth falls short looks-wise is that her hair is too straight and her braids look thin.

For reference, from the book:

I agree. These are good points.