Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Small Blade, The Struggle for Trost, Part 3

(edited)

On tonight's AoT Mikasa gives a rousing speech to the remaining members of the 104th Training Corps. It's all bravado though and she's really just looking for a way out. Much like Armin and the cowardly, thousand yard stare guy. Things really look bad when Mikasa runs out of gas and finds herself between two titans! Then one strikes...the titan! Dun! Dun! Dun!

I have to say Sasha is my favorite character. She was the only one trying to get people to try. The others had a better read on the situation, but she still tried.

For anyone curious, the vocal song after Mikasa rallied the troops was DOA. Yeah. The other song when Mikasa realized she still wanted to fight was Counter Attack Mankind. And the one that topped off the show was Vogel Im Kafig. The ending of Vogel Im Kafig is the track that played when the Smiling Titan ate Eren and Mikasa's mother. This anime has a bad ass soundtrack!

Edited by PrincessEnnui

This show keeps up the surprises with the Titan-eating Titan. I'm trying to figure out the pattern with the abnormally but so far haven't quite caught on.

I keep hoping Eren isn't dead, but my hope is fading somewhat at this point.

I'm kind of a history buff, and I have to say that the reactions of the cadets (and the military overall) match up pretty well with what soldiers in the First World War reported. The combat environment was so new, so different than what they expected, and so horrifying, that many were "shell shocked" and literally could not fight, in some cases even knowing that execution awaited them if they didn't.

• Love 2

Mikasa's badass, but kind of a jerk. I get that she had to work through her emotions, but I found her display of bravado to be a bit much, especially since she crumbled like two minutes later. On the one hand, I can understand that she's upset: her best friend/brother figure (love interest?) is very likely dead, but it bugs that the female top cadet's only reason for living is a guy way more into killing Titans (or killing in general--see last week) than her. It was temporary, but I was still rolling my eyes. She redeemed herself a lot in my eyes when she wouldn't leave Armin. Despite his being shell-shocked for a good bit of the time, I have a soft spot for him. Give him a sense of purpose, more confidence and I believe he can step up. He's already starting to.

I have to say Sasha is my favorite character. She was the only one trying to get people to try. The others had a better read on the situation, but she still tried.

Thanks for pointing this out about Sasha, PrincessEnnui. I felt like they really wanted us to write her off after the potato, fart and meat scenes, but she didn't waver. She tried to be a leader when the supposed leaders were still getting their heads together. She's less a joke character and more a "one to watch" for me now. Whatever his fate, I'm enjoying these moments without Eren around, because they're giving me the opportunity to notice and appreciate other characters.

I'm kind of a history buff, and I have to say that the reactions of the cadets (and the military overall) match up pretty well with what soldiers in the First World War reported. The combat environment was so new, so different than what they expected, and so horrifying, that many were "shell shocked" and literally could not fight, in some cases even knowing that execution awaited them if they didn't.

Really interesting comments about WWI, lathspel. I'll have to read more about this.

As for AOT, I also found their moments of shell-shock believable. So many of them had never even seen Titans before that day. Considering this and the suddenness of the attack it could have gone a lot worse. 

Where were the commanders? Were squads of barely graduated cadets literally left to fend for themselves? Did I miss something? 

Where were the commanders? Were squads of barely graduated cadets literally left to fend for themselves? Did I miss something? 

Not really. I think in this episode or the last, one of the characters said a veteran squad was wiped out completely. Also, there was at least one case of a leader straight up abandoning his duties (the supply squadron). I'd like to know where the old general guy was during all this. Last time we saw him, he was headed off to that battlefield. There's a lot going on in this society and military then we know about.

I actually think that Mikasa motivation is well defined. She's clinging to Eren who saved her twice. Once when he killed her kidnappers and once when he accepted her as sister. She's literally trying to figure out what to do after losing her family twice, especially given that she was now weaponless and low on fuel. Just know that Eren has been challenging her motivation since like episode 2. :)

I'd like to know where the old general guy was during all this. Last time we saw him, he was headed off to that battlefield.

Its seems like most of episode 5 and all of episode 6 happened concurrently, so not a whole lot of time has passed. He could still be on his way.