Type keyword(s) to search

Torchwood in the Media

"Brilliant premiere episode"?! I'm sorry, I can't take this review seriously. It lost me in a skim.

It lost me completely Indeed as it ends up rubbishing what's supposed to be good about LOL and that's why i was left totally confused.

Okay.  Um.  I looked at the list before reading the text (which, honestly is really guilty of TL;DR Syndrome without an excuse.  They should know better.)  I agree heartily that Jilly Kitzinger was the best thing in the series.  But when I got to #1 -- "Good Writers" I had to stop.  Are you SHITTING ME?  One of the writers who came from a highly successful sci fi series COULDN'T EVEN BE FUCKING BOTHERED TO GET THE TIME LINE RIGHT ON A GOD DAMNED TIME TRAVEL SHOW.  Fuck me.  What's her name?  Epson?  Jesus Christ.

No sympathy for this stupid article.

Mousey, don't waste your time or brain cells with it.

Best line ever written Captanne , love it

But did you read it ? Cause it starts with the credits of the writers and just how good they are but ends up once again rubbishing the job that was done. And i was left thinking does this writer understand the concept of "got it right , got it wrong" LOL. Same with the actress Jilly Kitzinger as the hero of the show, she might have acted it well but hero. She worked with a nutter then joined a "Family" of nutters, Hero ????????? LOL

It was either written by the most confused person on earth or they struggled to find any that MD got right LOL

Honestly, I skimmed it and once I got to the writers bit, I stopped cold.

The article is insane and I don't have the time to waste.

Here's my rule:  I will read anything.  Particularly if there is a reason to.  However, if it's clearly poorly written and I get any length into it and start finding mistakes and absurdity, I stop.  I feel justified commenting on the article to the length I read it and in the metaphysical (index, chapter titles, typos, photo curation).

Otherwise, I can't be fucked to waste my time.

How interesting.  I think it might be prudent -- only as an academic exercise, you understand -- to keep an eye on GDL's website?  SDCat are you still doing that? 

If the canon changes, we, The Torch-Woodlians ™ probably ought to know.

LOL

Edited by Captanne

to keep an eye on GDL's website?  

He has a twitter page. I noticed he's started following some of the Twin Peaks crew recently. I was hoping that might mean he was going to be a part of it, but it likely just means he's a fan of the show. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hopefully, he's referring to the original team and not what MD left us with...'cause, if so, no thank you.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the show's definition of the 'original team' is not my definition, but one can always hope.

Edited by Swansong

I'm torn.  I probably will read a synopsis of the plays if they aren't with the original team just to understand where RTD is taking the story?  Maybe?

If it's the original team?  I'll buy the Collector's Edition CD Set, the fridge magnets and the mousepads.

(In short, bribery is not beneath me.)

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

Well, there is talk on another site of possibly bringing back Torchwood in some form along with other Whoniverse characters in a few stories on TV, so if that's true maybe they're just trying to keep the interest alive. If RTD is involved, it'll probably be post-MD team characters involved in global crisis after global crisis! *Yawn*

If RTD is involved, it'll probably be post-MD team characters involved in global crisis after global crisis! *Yawn*

I've seen a lot of excitement that they're bringing back the original team, but I'm pretty sure for RTD the team has always been Jack and Gwen so, yeah, if it's the original cast I'll believe it when I see it.

But i am wondering why ? Are they trying to see if there is an audience for TW or not ?. All the other plays were leads into a new Season.

Yeah. It kind of makes me think the show isn't coming back which is why they decided to do the radio plays, As a last hurrah.The news about more  radio plays certainly explains RTD's recent comment about being open to doing more Torchwood. I thought it was a bit odd in the context since it's always been suggested he's pretty much the reason why it hasn't happened. Maybe he's fine with doing a few radio plays, but isn't interested in committing to another season?

Speaking of radio plays I've been listening to The Scarifyers and I'm kind of hoping GDL gets to do another of those. His last one was so much fun.

Has any one been watching the new season of Broadchurch? It seems to have half the cast of Doctor Who and Eve Myles in it.

Edited by Swansong

Another one...

Radio Times

This one has RTD not involved but giving his blessing and the BBC not saying it's official yet. Tweets from JB and his sister have been indicating it's pretty much a go, though. Not too sure I care for them being more involved, but nobody asked me!

JB also said "all of the team" so that would imply many people. If he's stretching Team Jack-and-Gwen to include Rhys, Rex, and a side of Andy, bleh.

Has any one been watching the new season of Broadchurch? It seems to have half the cast of Doctor Who and Eve Myles in it.

I was planning on watching it (I think I may have missed an airing or two here, but it just started). Now, I'm not so sure... ;) Edited by indeed

As a last hurrah.The news about more  radio plays certainly explains RTD's recent comment about being open to doing more Torchwood. I thought it was a bit odd in the context since it's always been suggested he's pretty much the reason why it hasn't happened. Maybe he's fine with doing a few radio plays, but isn't interested in committing to another season?

I thought RTD was the reason also and that's why i wondered if the Plays would be like some sort of test sample to see if people want TW or not.. But with the non conformation conformation from both RTD and BBC, it's seeming more like a poll or something.

So from what i have noticed reading the comments yesterday top points seem to be. Most people in favour of the Plays and about 70% want original TW Team, 20% cool with picking up story after MD, 10% just want Captain Jack back. And MD isn't as bad as you first think, so people should rewatch it, not sure if that's a plus for selling TW though . It's not as bad as you remember LOL

And MD isn't as bad as you first think, so people should rewatch it, not sure if that's a plus for selling TW though . It's not as bad as you remember LOL

Sadly I'm not about to sit through another ten episodes of it just to find out whether they're right or not. Lol!

Hey, this new batch could be "The Really, Really Lost Files" or "Buried Tales Found in the Torchwood Hub Rubble".

Ianto missing Diary maybe LOL I wish but it will probably be Gwen's now.

But another question does come up from rereading what JB said what does one will feature all of the team mean, compared to the others will be character based ?

Just say it's will be probably set after MD so Jack, Gwen, Rhys and Rex have one adventure then the next play is just about how Gwen became a PC before TW. It';s an odd way to say what the plays will be about don't you think ?

I'm meh on this.  I'd rather JB just focus on Arrow because Malcolm Merlyn is awesome as villains go

This.

I have no hope in seeing (or hearing) the original Torchwood team in any future canon projects.

A post MD radio play doesn't really interest me.  I'd love a prequel that included Suzie but that would mean no Gwen and there's no way that would happen.   My other wish list item that will never happen is some sort of storyline dealing with the consequences of Canary Wharf and Jack's aggressive ignoring of the survivors.   Ianto stole tech from the remains of Torchwood 1 for Lisa.  What if other survivors were able to get some tech and cause some trouble?  How about an alternate universe storyline where Peter Tyler's Torchwood  reaches out to Jack? This would be a way to temporarily bring back characters like Tosh and Ianto. 

• Love 2

My other wish list item that will never happen is some sort of storyline dealing with the consequences of Canary Wharf and Jack's aggressive ignoring of the survivors

The closest they came to mentioning Canary Wharf was Submission, but they still pretty much ignored that aspect more's the pity. I would have loved one with a pre-pilot Suzie, but as you said that means no Gwen so never going to happen. I'd love to know if she was always psychopathic (and whether Jack just ignored it or completely missed it) or whether the glove changed her. The radio plays could potentially allow them to delve into story lines and characters the show couldn't or wouldn't.

• Love 3

This really isn't about Torchwood but man it sure made me think about the show and how wonderfully Wales was like the 3 most important inanimate object in the show. The others  being Jack's coat and Ianto's suits. (I was going to say Gwen but that seemed kind of mean)

Reasons You Should Never Visit Wales.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamiejones/reasons-you-should-never-visit-wales?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgp#.ac0YgWAVj

(edited)

What am I forgetting? When did Torchwood go to the moon?

What cast? All new team? Old members? Would be more excited about this if it wasn't just all about JB/JH in the announcement. (But I guess I should be glad for now there isn't any mention of one Gwen Cooper.)

So, this is what was hinted at earlier--not BBC Radio, but Big Finish. Don't know if there will still be a radio play, but this makes more sense. (Or are these still going to air on BBC Radio?)

Edited by indeed

You're welcome!  I will never forget July 9th, 2009 or what it means but I'm also kind of over Torchwood.  I'm not a big fan of Barrowman as adorable as he can be, Eve Myles makes me want to stab my eyes out, Burn Gorman is doing great but I don't watch any of his shows and I haven't heard a word about Toshiko (God, I can't remember the actress' name!)  

Miracle Day killed whatever survived Children of Earth -- and, we know, Children of Earth laid waste to almost the entire show.

(edited)

Well this is rather interesting. 

I think it must have been an audio book when they went to moon. I don't think it happened in any of the audio plays.

Edited by catrox14

I'm pretty sure there was no moon shot in the audio plays -- we did them in a "rewatch" and I'd remember that.  (Although the older I get, the worse my memory gets.  LOL)

Anyone watching Vikings?  I'm doing a half-assed rewatch and enjoying every minute.  :-)

• Love 1

LOL okay. I've only see that used to say snarkily say 'you're not as clever as you think are"....

Anyhooo......on topic. Yes I would not put it past JB to do that.  Or certainly pay someone.  Although Kai Owen...

No, no, "too clever by half" means "very clever"!  (Sometimes I do get idioms wrong -- like "chuff" to me sounds "to be sick of something" as in "I can't be chuffed about it" but I'm totally wrong, "chuff" means happy.)

But "too clever by half" is a compliment or, if it's a criticism it's sort of a jealous one as if to say, "I wish I were that clever."

Maybe I ought to stick to debates about whether Ianto was dressing like a rent boy in Bute Park or not?  LOLOLOL    That one never gets old!!  Heh.

(edited)

Oh man. that debate was great on TWoP....I've become Supernatural trash and we have similar never ending debates about different things.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yes, I just saw the news from GDL's Facebook! Too bad it looks like pre-COE (and probably even pre-Exit Wounds). But apparently they're not willing to unravel the mess even in audio book form. At least James Goss is involved and maybe we'll get more Ianto--super busy in ever-ongoing season 2 era!

Here's another one...

Ianto Jones Returns In Torchwood: Fall To Earth

ETA: Ha! Not so good eyes! The link and title are different, but it's exactly the same story! (I didn't read on before I posted.) But the picture is more of a close-up, so there is that! LOL

Edited by indeed

I just read about this!  No clue what to expect as far as quality or timeline within canon.  I am sad that it is most likely set pre-COE but I guess that's to be expected.  Still, I am still excited to see that there will be more Ianto. 

(edited)

They recorded it the other day already. Looks like there might only be two in the voice cast (GDL and a lady).

ETA: I created a discussion thread for the Big Finish audio stories. New article from Radio Times gives more detail about them (although, really not that much more than we already knew, but GDL is interviewed).

Edited by indeed

I am a strident believer in including some Dr. Who episodes in the Torchwood canon and one of them is "The Empty Child."

I'm also a fan (don't judge) of American Horror Story.  Here is the premier of the new season 

Check out the child in the gas mask at the end!!

HAH.  Copycats.