Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Day One

(edited)

Not to be confused with the other Day One...

It's Gwen's first day on the job, and it's not going very well. After accidentally releasing a mysterious gas from a comet that landed, a new type of alien is let loose on the streets - an alien that's addicted to sex. Torchwood must find the inhabited body, and prevent anymore deaths from the violent form of sex.

Ianto Jones: Need me to do any attacking, sir?

Wow, so bad. But at least we got that team luncheon...before Gwen had to go and be a Debbie Downer...

Edited by indeed

@indeed , thanks for starting these episode threads.

I agree about the WTFness of this episode. The immaturity of the writers showed in the seen when the girl kisses Gwen. When Jack and Owen ogle instead of immediately going to save Gwen. They know she's deadly and that a kiss from her is like a villain drawing a gun.

They want to show that Torchwood is more grow up than Torchwood but it comes off so juvenile.

(edited)

Yeah I really dislike this episode and it's not because it's based around a sex possessing alien because I've seen this trope done well. I agree it's just so embarrassingly juvenile. Most of the character reactions are just moronic, the top one being Jack letting out a deadly alien to save the Doctor's arm when it doesn't even need that level of protection and Gwen is already kind of insufferable. The only things I like from this episode is Tosh ( I wish this version of her had stuck around) and Carys. I think the actress does a good job with her.

Also why are we supposed to believe that the idea that Gwen might have a boyfriend is supposed to be so amazing that the Torchwood team act like its the most incredible thing ever lol? Even if Torchwood makes it impossible to have relationships she's only been Torchwood for a few hours so do they not get that people in the 'real' world sometimes have relationships? Do they no longer understand the ways of humans because they've forgotten what it means to be human?

Edited by Swansong

I think what I liked about this episode was the sort of "BBC parlor murder mystery" feel to it -- where Gwen is in her little checkered uniform hat and everything is all mysterious and rainy.  Quaint yet insidious.

That's about it.

Oh, and I did a double take on the cute guy in the suit.  Because I'm twelve.

Gwen didn't start out well for me in EC many cause i couldn't wrap my head around a policewoman who didn't get any help for a dying man. But in this Gwen and Jack take your pick really who is dumb and dumber LOL sorry

Gwen first impassioned speech about Carys, montage yes a montage of her finding out everything about Carys, see that's how the police would do it. Then the big question where would she go ? Gwen, Gwen come on Gwen you have the answer we saw your montage and Jack was so impressed and the answer is ? No it's Tosh who comes up with the answer cause Tosh saw her get dumped on the CTV. Oh well never mind Gwen will do better next time. Boyfriend is dust so where else would Carys ? Gwen , Gwen ""How would i know" Huh. And Owen says " well you did the research on her" and once again Tosh has to find the answer. What was the montage about ?

Jack , poor Jack. First off when they first find Carys at home, thank goodness that was easy. Gwen is sent through the door first despite not knowing how to use a gun properly , huh ?Probies go behind the experienced Agents normally i guess Jack forgot. Jack in awe, in awe of Gwen researching Carys thank goodness, cause no one would have every thought of doing that at Torchwood. Gwen has taught Jack such a good lesson there, he better tell his employees. Doctor hand or chick possed by alien that can turn guys to dust ? Hard choice no Doctors hand that she couldn't carry that far a much better choice. But it's all ends well for Jack cause he apparently got his first ever kiss when Gwen gave him a "thank you" peck.

This was just truly truly bad, i wouldn't beilieve these guys could save us from anything

(edited)

So Day One Rewatch. This is a tacky, terrible episode. And juvenile is about right. 

The good. Like I said I like this version of Tosh and I thought the actress playing Carys did a good job. Um. I actually liked the scene where she goes to the boyfriend because of the moral issue it raised and because Carys seems to cross a line from victim to perpetrator. If the episode had focused more on exploring moments like this it might have actually been  worthwhile.

The bad has already been covered. The team watching while Gwen makes out with Carys even though they know that sex is how she kills. Owen. Apparently the pilot wasn't just a fluke. He really is that gross. Jack acting like Gwen discovered the meaning of life after she does her collage of Carys' life. If that's seriously his idea of brilliant then Gwen's right he has been stuck down in the Hub too long and needs to get out more. It's made even more ludicrous because it apparently doesn't even give her any real, useful insight into Carys.  Jack letting out a dangerous alien who has already murdered to save the Doctor's arm. But I also have to add Jack fighting sexism in the workplace with his own special brand of workplace inappropriate comments. Gwen making out with Carys like it's just one of those things you do and then lecturing the team about their inappropriate behaviour with a victim. This is our first introduction to the team and it's not exactly a winning sale. And no, show, it's not because they're apparently so morally dubious. It's because they're idiots. I can't believe the writers thought this was the best way to sell the audience on the show. Maybe they were banking on Gwen's doe-eyed look to distract us or something because she uses that expression a lot in this episode.

In the continuing saga of Torchwood, the worst secret organisation ever. Not only is no-one supposed to know what Gwen does, they're also not supposed to know who she works for so why call her into work with a text message that reads Torchwood?

Another thing I noticed. Ianto comes on, says his line about checking with his eyes and then just disappears again. What exactly was the point of that moment? Just to give him something to do? lol. 

And yes, show, not having a partner really does equal not having a life. 

Edited by Swansong