Type keyword(s) to search

Jack and Ianto: Not a Blip in Time

The thing for me is that I am uncertain if my interpretation is what the writers intended because of the way Jack's dynamic with Ianto and Gwen was handled.  I don't really know what their intentions for Jack/Ianto were other than for Ianto to be a plot point for Jack's pain in COE.   What were the writers trying to accomplish by having Jack do stuff like say the "I came back for you" line to both Ianto and Gwen in KKBB?

I wouldn't read too much into the writers' commitment to the characters.  I think we got a random shot per episode and a struggle from the actors to have any sense of a common thread.  Continuity of character is not this show's forte.  If we did get continuity of character it's probably just as random as not getting it.  

Immortality and betrayal and inevitable abandonment by death and whatnot may have been issues Jack had with committing to Ianto, but I'm not so sure they would have been issues with Gwen. With all the Gwack going on and seemingly wanted/seen by TPTB (until they said that was never the plan--ha!), I don't know if Jack would have the same issues. He couldn't have a normal life with her, but that didn't stop the endgame vibe of that potential pairing.

Edited by indeed

I totally agree.  If all Jack wanted was sex he could certainly find it easier and with less baggage than with Ianto.   I do think Jack's history with people like Angelo and Lucia are why he refuses to label things with Ianto or consider the future.  Jack knows he and Ianto have an expiration date. I think Jack believes Ianto will betray him like Angelo, resent him for being immortal like Lucia

I think one of the best moments in COE is the "beans" convo Luckylyn And watching Jack's face as he is waiting for Ianto to leave him basically after he spells out how their relationship would go but is surprised that Ianto is okay with that.

It has always made me wonder while Jack has been in love before no doubt but has he ever been loved by someone knowing everything and still caring and wanting to stay ?

And i think that's the difference between Ianto and other people Jack has been with or loved. Ianto showed Jack that he was worth loving and that he mattered. Like how Ianto concern for Jack increased as they got more involved and say Gwen decreased the longer she got used to it. I think Gwen is the norm  and will end up like Lucia resenting Jack as they age and he doesn't, Angelo on the other hand is  the extreme LOL

• Love 2

I have to go to work or I would expound -- but ITA, Mousey.  Especially with that entire last paragraph.

It's what I've been trying to say for years but not as succinctly.

ETA:  Ianto was unique not only as the character within Jack's life but as the character created by RTD.  There is no other character created whom Jack could love and be loved in return like Ianto.  None.  It geometrically increases the tragedy of his death and the circumstances -- also both from within the narrative and the flip way it happened in the writing room.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

I have to go to work or I would expound -- but ITA, Mousey.  Especially with that entire last paragraph.

It's what I've been trying to say for years but not as succinctly.

ETA:  Ianto was unique not only as the character within Jack's life but as the character created by RTD.  There is no other character created whom Jack could love and be loved in return like Ianto.  None.  It geometrically increases the tragedy of his death and the circumstances -- also both from within the narrative and the flip way it happened in the writing room.

I love your ETA Captanne.  Would love to read more when you have a chance