Type keyword(s) to search

Jason's rank and uniform

I'd like to know a bit about Jason's past military history.  He is a Master Chief with over 16 years but less than 20 (4 service stripes on the dress blues) but the insignia is RED!  This means he has some NJP (Non Judicial Punishment) that cost him a Good Conduct Medal.  If he had this type of incident in his military record, how did he make Master Chief? In the opening of the series he was referred to as Senior Chief, so he must have promoted in the time frame of the show. I couldn't see his ribbons clearly enough to see how many GCMs he had, but something just doesn't add up here.

If memory serves after the pilot and in the second episode he was introduced as a Master Chief. In the latest episode that he had been with the teams for 20 years and leading a team for the last ten.

18 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

It is no stretch for my mind to imagine Jason having derogatory incidents in his OMPF.  :)

If anyone knows:  What is the minimum rank to lead a SEAL team such as this one depicted on TV?

They're extra special forces inside of the special forces so normal rules don't apply.  There probably should be another officer besides the Lieutenant Commander who deploys and the Master Chief's  Bravo fire team or squad would be just one element of his command.  From the dialog when asking his Captain to relieve him from Bravo we know that a couple of years ago as a Senior Chief he had been leading a team for about 8 years at that point. I would guess that a team would be authorized an E-7 Chief Petty Officer but often an E-6 Petty Officer First Class would often be in the position.

Edited by Raja

Just watched it, and I agree that it is quite strange that somebody with conduct problem is allowed to be a team leader, let alone advance to E-9. Beside that, it is typical military TV show that the team goes downrange without any commissioned officer commanding. The Unit is another example. LCDR Blackburn notwithstanding in this case, he is just quarterbacking from distance. They need an LT to take command. POs/CPOs can lead, they cannot command. Having written that, Hayes being a SOCM is also problematic. Just like The Unit, they have E-9 still playing in the field, with small team nevertheless. E-9 is part of management, they do not deal with individual missions.