Type keyword(s) to search

Terrace House - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I got hooked on this show (currently on Netflix) recently.  Terrace House is a "Real World" type show from Japan, with six strangers (3 men and 3 women) living together and having their interactions filmed.  Binge-watched all episodes of Aloha State first, now I'm onto Boys and Girls in the City although I probably should have started with Boys and Girls in the City since it came first and there are 40+ episodes rather than Aloha State's 8 episodes (so far).  Anyone else watching?

The initial time frame of the series is something like 18 weeks, although it was extended several times for Boys and Girls in the City.  There are earlier iterations of Terrace House, but I believe those were only available to viewers in Japan. 

I think it's interesting how polite and formal everyone is, even during disagreements.  Guess that's something I can take to the Cultural Divide topic...  But it's weirdly calming to see normal people interacting in a normal way.  If there are issues, they TALK rather than shout and get into other people's faces.  It's also interesting how the housemates can leave once they feel like they've gotten what they wanted out of the experience.  When someone leaves, another person (of the same gender) is brought in to replace them.

Here's the opening sequence from Boys and Girls in the City:

And a trailer for Aloha House:

I got the name of this show from Reality Blurred, I think. I've only watched the first episode so far but I find it very calming. Unlike the Real World, no one is interested in showing how outrageous they are, there's no shrieking and racketing around the house. Just a bunch of folks getting to know one another, very refreshing! I was struck by how everyone waited quietly, chatting among themselves, until all six were there, then set off to explore. Compare to any season of TRW! I am definitely in for the duration, I'm looking forward to getting to know these kids, and I love the little peek at Japanese culture.

• Love 1

I know this thread isn't very active, but I just finished watching part 3 of Aloha State and it's gotten good.  I tried to pace myself, but ended up watching all eight episodes in a day.  

Taishi bugs me with his "A love worth dying for".  I don't know how many times he needs to say it, but it's about ten too many.

Spoiler

Guy and Niki's date was awkward and I don't know how they went from that to cuddling and kissing at the end of episode 8, but it was cute.  Too bad her time at Terrace House is ending, because I'd like to see more of the two of them.

• Love 1

I think that this show is sooooo interesting - it's rare that a simple show provides such unique cultural insights.  All cultures have boy-meets-girl interactions, so I'm finding it really fascinating to watch the drama unfold through the lens of the Japanese culture.  Frankly, I feel embarrassed, as an American, when contrasting the drunken hi-jinx of "The Real World" participants with the thoughtful, low-key interactions that I've seen throughout the Terrace House series.  To be clear, as a typical American who speaks her mind, albeit politely, I understand that even at my most polite, I would be viewed as too aggressive for this crowd, so I'm not implying that one culture is better than another; rather, it's just nice to watch a reality show without any screaming!!

In Aloha State, I love the surfer and his budding romance. Conversely, I am amused that Taishi's "type" can be found in every culture I've known - the narcissist whose love for himself precludes the very thing that he thinks that he wants - he wants true love while being incapable of any true empathy... just another actor who is always acting.  I love that Miss Hawaii called him out, but I fear that she could fall for him, too....

And I've come to love the panel of experts.  I found them odd and slightly annoying at first, but over the course of the episodes, they've really grown on me, and I find that their insights really enhance my understanding of the Japanese way of thinking with respect to behavior and relationships.

On 6/29/2017 at 0:01 AM, OldButHappy said:

And I've come to love the panel of experts.  I found them odd and slightly annoying at first, but over the course of the episodes, they've really grown on me, and I find that their insights really enhance my understanding of the Japanese way of thinking with respect to behavior and relationships.

Same here.  When I first started Terrace House, I watched the host segments because it was part of the show.  I started skipping through them because I felt like, why waste time listening to them when I can fast forward and concentrate on the "real" show?  Now I realize that they do give me some insights on stuff I might not have picked up on, or validate my feelings about what I just watched.  For example, the Taishi and Niki rock climbing date.  The older lady main host (Sorry I still don't know all their names...maybe Yu?) commented that Taishi did all the right things, but it left her feeling cold because it seemed so calculated.  My thoughts exactly!

• Love 1

It's taken me most of the summer to finish watching Terrace House: Aloha State. Someone introduced it to me back in April/May, but I had other shows and real life to deal with. This is also a great relaxing evening show but you need to pay attention due to the subtitles and the sometimes nuanced interactions.

I have a lot of thoughts about how the show is edited. I'm East Asian but not Japanese and have alot of Japanese friends; I really see these traits displayed among them. It's not a surprise the show is a hit with certain of my friends who can relate or appreciate the quality. I also do not watch many reality shows; this is the only candid one I've ever liked.

On 6/17/2017 at 1:54 AM, scorp01 said:

I know this thread isn't very active, but I just finished watching part 3 of Aloha State and it's gotten good.  I tried to pace myself, but ended up watching all eight episodes in a day.  

Taishi bugs me with his "A love worth dying for".  I don't know how many times he needs to say it, but it's about ten too many.

Hide contents

Guy and Niki's date was awkward and I don't know how they went from that to cuddling and kissing at the end of episode 8, but it was cute.  Too bad her time at Terrace House is ending, because I'd like to see more of the two of them.

Hopefully, the few of us here have finished watching part 3 so no more spoilers after this.

It was a bit of a jump from that awkward date to what happened in the last episode. However, if you look at their age and their inexperience, it is realistic for them to move along those lines especially since we knew how much he liked her. She seemed comfortable with him mostly. I also really like how he went in for the kiss and she went back for more and then cuddled. It was very sweet. I don't think they'll necessarily last in the long term; they are different. However, they both have this sweet and laid back vibe to them that makes them enjoy each other's company. If this were any other show, I'd say it's a good fling for both, but the culture doesn't really encourage that kind of dating. A lot of the couples on this show have lasted so who knows. I can't wait to see Part 4.

On 6/29/2017 at 3:01 AM, OldButHappy said:

I think that this show is sooooo interesting - it's rare that a simple show provides such unique cultural insights.  All cultures have boy-meets-girl interactions, so I'm finding it really fascinating to watch the drama unfold through the lens of the Japanese culture.  Frankly, I feel embarrassed, as an American, when contrasting the drunken hi-jinx of "The Real World" participants with the thoughtful, low-key interactions that I've seen throughout the Terrace House series.  To be clear, as a typical American who speaks her mind, albeit politely, I understand that even at my most polite, I would be viewed as too aggressive for this crowd, so I'm not implying that one culture is better than another; rather, it's just nice to watch a reality show without any screaming!!

In Aloha State, I love the surfer and his budding romance. Conversely, I am amused that Taishi's "type" can be found in every culture I've known - the narcissist whose love for himself precludes the very thing that he thinks that he wants - he wants true love while being incapable of any true empathy... just another actor who is always acting.  I love that Miss Hawaii called him out, but I fear that she could fall for him, too....

On 7/8/2017 at 0:57 PM, scorp01 said:

Same here.  When I first started Terrace House, I watched the host segments because it was part of the show.  I started skipping through them because I felt like, why waste time listening to them when I can fast forward and concentrate on the "real" show?  Now I realize that they do give me some insights on stuff I might not have picked up on, or validate my feelings about what I just watched.  For example, the Taishi and Niki rock climbing date.  The older lady main host (Sorry I still don't know all their names...maybe Yu?) commented that Taishi did all the right things, but it left her feeling cold because it seemed so calculated.  My thoughts exactly!

I've grown to really like all the hosts except the one guy with glasses who makes a lot of assy comments about the girls including his comments about Lauren and Anna. I really enjoy the two ladies in the middle including the older one and Torichan. I also think the older man (who probably has a comedic background) is funny and has some insights.

Japanese culture emphasizes a lot of politeness, creativity, and calmness. On the other hand, the culture can be conservative, restrictive, and too deferential. It's also superficial in the way the hosts and others talk about each other's looks especially the girls. I remember how even Yuya in Aloha State commented on the girl he crushed on Avian was not the "best looking girl in the house" but she was his favourite. I adored Avian too. When they went to the beach, the hosts went gaga about her butt.

While they establish that there is no script; the show is edited a certain way to show personalities. There is probably ring of truth to it, but they did some of the same things. For example, they consistently shot one girl as the ideal/hot/beautiful one. First it was Lauren, then it was Niki. Lauren got a bit of a bitch edit which I found unfair since she was 19. Then Anna got this edit as well as the hosts kept emphasizing she didn't seem to get along with Lauren/Avian and how they kept saying she thought Taishi was interested in her. With all the residents, they would shoot them outside of the house going to work, working on their art/music, but they never did that with Anna. It makes me wonder if Anna had a job that didn't want the camera crews, but more so it makes me think TPTB Anna is too boring. We only found out about her cooking/restaurant dream in the last episode.

Taishi: This guy is smarmy. It was interesting to watch him basically date every girl in the house over his obsessive and narcissistic desire to find his "love worth dying for". When we get first introduced to him, he tells his former boss he's never been in love so he's going on TH to find it. Later he counsels Yuya (while crying of course) that he once had a girl who he "loved" a lot but he couldn't make the move to make her happy. He spends so many episodes crying and chastising others to be on his standard. He really loves being the older brother type. One of my friends thinks Taishi is crying all the time because he wants to show casting directors he can express emotions. That's a good theory because he is such a drama queen. But he cannot relate to others at a real emotional level.

When Cheri calls him out on his dating to the group, I was really pleased. It shocked the hosts and a lot of people in the house because it was so direct and un-Japanese. She had a good point and I think it made the other girls feel better. The guys were scared and thought he was being interrogated, but they didn't realize how sleazy and weird it was with him dating one girl after the other leaving them all hanging.

Now I've moved onto Boys and Girls in the city and it's already got a much different vibe and residents.

• Love 1
On 9/20/2017 at 8:05 AM, Athena said:

Now I've moved onto Boys and Girls in the city and it's already got a much different vibe and residents.

Welcome Athena!  It's nice to see new posts in this fairly uneventful forum.  Loved to read your thoughts on Aloha State and it'll be interesting to hear what you think of Boys and Girls in the City.  Definitely has a different vibe than Aloha State.

On 9/20/2017 at 11:21 AM, OldButHappy said:

Aloha State returns to Netfix with new episodes at the end of the month...yippee!!

YESSSSS!!!

• Love 1

Ooh. I may need to binge a lot of Part 4 at least to see how Guy's particular story concludes. I learned from the Wikipedia articles (which are spoilery) that Netflix in Japan releases the eps week by week, and then a little bit later, it appears on standard TV. After its standard TV run next week, Netflix international gets to release it. The finale should already be on Netflix Japan and it'll be on TV next week.

I watched Boys and Girls in the City during Netflix hiatus between Part 3 and 4 of AS. I won't discuss AS yet, but compared to BGITC, AS is bad especially after Part 4.

I found myself binge watching BGITC easily and while there was lots of drama, it was resolved fairly quickly and most of the housemates who were slightly rude or jerks wanted to change (Natsumi) or they thankfully left the show (Makoto). AS is another story.

I really enjoyed watching them explore the Tokyo area as well. I really grew to like Arman who while boring and not all that smart, seemed hard working and sincere. I liked most of the girls in BGITC too and there were some good guys. I believed the romances too and even rooted for them sometime.

I hope the show goes back to Japan next season because I think moving to Hawaii hurt the dynamics and the casting a lot of ways.

• Love 2

Must....not....binge...entire...season...tonight...

I like this cast a lot so far.  And the scenery is spectacular.

And the studio hosts continue their funny and insightful commentary.

OK, just one more episode tonight.  Sleep is overrated.

I watched it all last week and saw some of the Part 2 (not yet on Netflix international). I have mixed feelings because Yuudai is terriblle. Tsubasa is Queen. That sums up how I see the series so far. 

• Love 1

I didn't think I was going to binge part 1 of Opening Doors but alas, it happened.

I wasn't sure about the cast at first, but after watching I do like Tsubasa, Shion and Nakamura.  Ami is ok, Mizuki is just there and Yuudai can leave anytime and I wouldn't miss him a bit.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, scorp01 said:

I wasn't sure about the cast at first, but after watching I do like Tsubasa, Shion and Nakamura.  Ami is ok, Mizuki is just there and Yuudai can leave anytime and I wouldn't miss him a bit.

Agree on all points.  I finished Part 1 tonight, and look forward to part 2.  Is there anywhere to legally watch Part 2 with English subtitles?  I hate to wait until May or July (there are divergent opinions on the release date on the Reddit subs).

I was frustrated with Ami for most part 2, but after it was over and rewatching her interactions with Tusbasa in particular, I think the producers have edited her to be a lot harsher than she is in real life. She is a kid and she definitely has some social awkwardness in dealing with men who interact with her romantically. However, it is telling that she also lights up when talking to Tsubasa and seems very relaxed with Shion. She mentioned how he "played the most" with her which shows that she was very comfortable with him platonically. 

3 hours ago, Neeners said:

I just binged season 3. Why is this show so addicting? And leaving it how they did. Argh!

Good news - Part 3 is on Netflix today.  I sooooo don't believe the romance.  While falling for the plain-yet-interesting girl, Sean will become a fan favorite, but I see zero chemistry.  They clearly like one another, but I'm not feeling any heat.....reminds me of hanging out with my gay buddy - love without desire.

Edited to add:  I've watched more episodes.  Ignore everything that I wrote above - I was wrong.

The combo of living in a reserved culture/two innately introverted people was one that i've not personally experienced or observed.  But they seem to clearly love one another.  Live and learn!

Edited by OldButHappy
  • Love 1

Sean and Tsubasa remain popular as a couple. Terrace House releases a set of bonus clips every week on their Youtube. They sometimes relate to the episode that streamed/aired in Japan that week, but more often than not, they are bonus clips of the housemates interacting. They have also used it as a way to catch up with fan favourites. This week they released a clip of Shion and Tsubasa together in Kaurizawa, visiting her Dad, and taking a hike. It was really cute. While the PDA is not blatant (don't blame them), they definitely have chemistry. Also, they love to laugh together. Definitely my favourite couple from this show.

Just now, Athena said:

Konbawa and welcome to the party! 

Thank you! I'm fairly new to TH. I binged OND pretty quick and moved on to BGITC which I just finished. I've started Aloha State. I'm not huge on reality shows butI love Terrace House. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, TotalHellion said:

Thank you! I'm fairly new to TH. I binged OND pretty quick and moved on to BGITC which I just finished. I've started Aloha State. I'm not huge on reality shows butI love Terrace House. 

AS is not as good as BGITC or OND. The new series starts next month in Japan so international Netflix should have new episodes Julyish hopefully.

I liked Opening New Doors, even though it kind of fizzled out in the end.  The mountains are so beautiful.

Sean and Tsubasa broke up....say it ain't so!  They were a cute couple, even if I never really trusted Sean's intentions.  What better way to achieve his stated goal of "making women swoon" than to choose the pure, sincere, hardworking woman over her more glamorous housemates?  

But then, I'm old and cynical! 😉

Tokyo will bring a more sophisticated crowd to the house.  I would like it if they had seasons in different cities in Japan, just so I could see them through their cinematographer's eyes.  It's beautifully shot.

Hello, my name is Katy, and I am an undergraduate student at the University of Vermont, studying Japanese pop culture and globalization. Currently, I am researching the influence that Terrace House has on foreigners' perception of Japanese culture/people. If you have the time to fill out this brief survey, it would be incredibly helpful. Please, only non-Japanese viewers of the show fill out this survey (as I am studying non-Japanese perceptions). Thank you!!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdcbnWmfB0kvF0io4S9lGF2V6QAxliN6720utqbS3btXmuqWg/viewform?usp=sf_link