Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Beast With a Badge

A detective struggles to exonerate his friend, a black former cop, from rape allegations pinned on him by the LAPD's all-white brass. He'll navigate entrenched racism, lead a stake-out and employ the magic of Hollywood to ensnare the real predator.

• Love 1

I didn't have any closed captioning on while watching, no. 

That's really, really sad about Todd Rourke. How the hell does he struggle to get work after being set free, but the guy who actually committed the crimes can get a job, no problem? Weird that there's no mention of Fields going on to commit any further crimes after getting out, either. Did he get some good rehabilitation in jail, I wonder?

Liked the detail about Galindo being an inspiration for that show "Dragnet". Did not know that. That's neat. The stakeout idea was clever, and that chase. So intense. 

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I didn't have any closed captioning on while watching, no. 

That's really, really sad about Todd Rourke. How the hell does he struggle to get work after being set free, but the guy who actually committed the crimes can get a job, no problem? Weird that there's no mention of Fields going on to commit any further crimes after getting out, either. Did he get some good rehabilitation in jail, I wonder?

Liked the detail about Galindo being an inspiration for that show "Dragnet". Did not know that. That's neat. The stakeout idea was clever, and that chase. So intense. 

That just blew my mind when the actual rapist, after getting shot, STILL goes back to see if he can rape someone.  SMH.

• Love 4

This episode really dragged for me, and it didn't seem as well done as some of the others. I thought the ending was ridiculous when they said the rapist went on to have a fabulous life. Given what we know about serial rapists, I highly doubt he changed his ways once he got out. Makes me question their assertion that the wrongly accused had his life ruined. Especially when they said, "He literally went to live on a farm for the rest of his life," or something like that. Just seems a very odd thing to say as proof that someone's life was ruined. This series has been getting a little hit and miss for me for a while now.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Is anyone else NOT getting closed-captions tonight?

Nope, I didn't get them either.

19 hours ago, Annber03 said:

liked the detail about Galindo being an inspiration for that show "Dragnet"

Webb had a lot of friends on the force and Galindo must have been one he especially liked.  I don't think he was listed as an official consultant and I don't feel like digging through our stuff to find  Michael Hayde's Dragnet  book right now but I know he was used as a character on the 50's radio show, the 50's TV show and the 60's TV show.  Wouldn't have remembered but he also worked on the Manson case:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/08/local/la-me-danny-galindo8-2010apr08

4 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

This episode really dragged for me, and it didn't seem as well done as some of the others. I thought the ending was ridiculous when they said the rapist went on to have a fabulous life. Given what we know about serial rapists, I highly doubt he changed his ways once he got out. Makes me question their assertion that the wrongly accused had his life ruined. Especially when they said, "He literally went to live on a farm for the rest of his life," or something like that. Just seems a very odd thing to say as proof that someone's life was ruined. This series has been getting a little hit and miss for me for a while now.

Yeah that was weird. I also was alarmed about the rapist being freed and as for the whole "retiring to a farm - what a nightmare" thing -  WTF?    I do feel inspired to read Joel Engel's book, though.

• Love 5

Wasn't Jack Vincennes (Kevin Spacey's character in LA Confidential) kind of based on Danny Galindo?  

What I couldn't figure out is why the female cop didn't wait by the car.  Or at least take down the plate and registration numbers before she ran off to pretty much nowhere.  I think back then that the registrations were posted somewhere on the car so you could see who owned it.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Sile said:

What I couldn't figure out is why the female cop didn't wait by the car.  Or at least take down the plate and registration numbers before she ran off to pretty much nowhere.  

My mom wondered the same thing about the plate and registration numbers. 

And I worried about her running off, too-this guy attacks women, she's pretty brave to try and chase after him. 

• Love 1