Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Return to Mercy Labs

Finally, an episode that can stand toe to toe with the first three seasons. Being a 10K fanatic, I love that he actually had scenes and dialogue. The flashbacks to his first trip to Mesa Labs, back to the current time and finding his old slingshot, were just wonderful.

CZ and JZ, what terrific scenes.

The poignant scenes with Andrew. 

This episode might actually make my top 10, despite my earlier skepticism of the season as a whole.

Of course, this season has changed my list of favorite characters. 10K is still my fave, even though his presence (other than as just a part of the cast) has been sorely missed by me. In order, these are my opinions of the still-living characters: CZ, Doc, Kaya, Murphy (always fine as the jerk with a soft side), JZ (where did they find such a great kid?), Sarge (as a poor substitute for Addy), Warren (sorry, as a great character, she's dropped a long way for me), and Nana.

What does everyone else think?

Since my laptop has crashed and I have to resort to a tablet, my fanfic writing has dropped to zero, but I still remember paper and pan , so I'm feeling eager to get back to my stories. Wahoo!

• Love 2

This episode was worth waiting for. It had comedy, tension and some drama. Great use of the flashbacks to earlier eps. No distracting guests just the focus on the team. And the plots moved along ... all of them!

So the Reset was to unleash Black Rainbow’s bio WMD to clear the way for resettlement. That earlier scene where mad Doc was looking at the blackened, smoking brain was probably a test of the bio weapon. They know it works but did not have enough or a way to distribute it widely. Enter the launch codes. 

Are Tellar’s 2 cannisters counteragents to the Black Rainbow recipe? I think so. Remember, in the scene where Warren got the first cannister, the bio matter wasn’t dead. And since Warren got exposed to it, does it mean that she could be immune? It does look like her trance state is no longer at the forefront controlling her.

Have to do a rewatch. The pacing was just right. I liked the subplot of Tellar’s son. I thought that was a better mirror to Murphy/Lucy than the son/mommy Zogoloos. Felt so bad for 10k. 

Based on the previews, I think I can say that the real Roberta Warren is back. Yay!

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, 10kfever said:

Finally, an episode that can stand toe to toe with the first three seasons. Being a 10K fanatic, I love that he actually had scenes and dialogue. The flashbacks to his first trip to Mesa Labs, back to the current time and finding his old slingshot, were just wonderful.

This episode might actually make my top 10, despite my earlier skepticism of the season as a whole.

What does everyone else think?

Since my laptop has crashed and I have to resort to a tablet, my fanfic writing has dropped to zero, but I still remember paper and pan , so I'm feeling eager to get back to my stories. Wahoo!

Yep, in my Top 10 as well, @10kfever. My character list would be Doc, 10K, Warren, Citizen Z, Addy, Kaya, Murphy, Sarge, Little Z and Nana. The season has not been comparable to previous seasons so far but that could change with the remaining episodes. Kudos to the writer and director of this episode. If the last two episodes are close to this level, then it may salvage the season. 

My problem is Internet crash. The cable guy better show up on time tomorrow. I did fanfic for years before doing original novels. Now, in the mood to hard edit my 2nd zombie novel. Going to use this episode to kick up the creative juices. 

On to Mount Weather next week ... 

• Love 1

Another writer in our midst. Fantastic! I've never had the stick-to-it gene, so I play with other people's characters and universes. I just have to accept that I'm a fanfic writer and not a novelist. My only claim to fame, as it were, was a letter telling my co-writer and I to cease and desist our Star Trek fan magazines because they were "too good". Weird, but a left-handed compliment is still a compliment. Haven't gone to jail yet.

Back on topic, I'm watching this episode again, mostly because my recorder failed to record. This has not been a good day for me, but this episode holds up well, and I'll probably watch it several times. I'll have to check credits, because I can't believe these writers were at all responsible for the earlier drek. I haven't had much interest in checking credits this season, so it should be interesting.

• Love 1

Here's the question -- if the only way to manually change the codes for the Black Rainbow 4th strike is with the fingerprint of the President, and Black Rainbow was designed in the 80s, which Presidential fingerprint would it have on file to compare against ?

Even if the fingerprint checker was up to date when the ZA started, there's no sure way to know if the President is alive and where the President is -- unless Warren gets that tip in her vision.  Because the odds are just as likely that the President is a Z.

• Love 2

@ottoDbusdriver, next episode’s past summary said that they go to Mt. Weather in Virginia. It’s possible that on the way to Washington D.C., Northern Lights lets them know to go to Mt. Weather instead. Though the way the show jumps time and location, they could be in D.C. in the first scene, find a clue then zapped to that location in the next scene. Or Sarge could remember a briefing that the Prez was at Mt. Weather. Or go to the White House, get the thumb & dash to Mt. Weather in 3 scenes or less.

Kaya emphasized that they needed the PresIdent’s thumb print. So not the whole body. Cut the thumb and run for it. I thought the President was a Z figure head by this point in the timeline. I would think they would update the fingerprint reader with each incomng president. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, 51Muses said:

Based on the previews, I think I can say that the real Roberta Warren is back. Yay!

Lordy, I hope so.  Kellita Smith really didn't have to do much to earn her paycheck this season, just walk around looking puzzled and zoned out.  I hope to see some actual, you know, acting from her in the remaining episodes. 

• Love 3
On 12/8/2017 at 7:25 PM, 10kfever said:

CZ and JZ, what terrific scenes.

Favorite characters?

The whole Northern Lights family -- Nana, Kayla, CZ, JZ and "puppy" are quite fun.  Loved watching JZ cheat at poker!  (2s over 3s is the 2nd weakest full house possible -- 3s over 2 is worse).

I like most of the characters, even Sarge.  And I continue to adore Kalita Smith, even if Warren is doing much -- what other show has a black woman as the undisputed leader of a group of leads?

20 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Well, Empire has Cookie.

True, but until this season, she had to fight for leadership -- it wasn't "undisputed".  Moreover, I was thinking more of sci fi & fantasy (which I should have said).

Queen Sugar has a Black woman (Charley) as the head of a mill, and Violet as pretty much the head of the family.

• Love 1
On 12/12/2017 at 5:28 PM, jhlipton said:

what other show has a black woman as the undisputed leader of a group of leads?

And race has what to do with this?

As a dad of two young boys, I found this episode heartbreaking.  The look on Andrew's face was pitch perfect.