Type keyword(s) to search

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)

• Start Topic

So I saw this and yeah, I saw this, and it's in my brain, and I don't know what to make of it.  People in the theatre laughed at a few points which were meant to be serious.  It seemed like we hit a limit for where the movie was taking us.  It was well acted within the style the director chose to evoke.  The filming was interesting.  The whole thing did seem so painfully self-aware.

Also, a few people walked out of the film.  One guy made a bit of a show of it. 

I am wondering how other audiences reacted to this film. 

17 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

People in the theatre laughed at a few points which were meant to be serious. 

I'm interested in what exactly the tone is because the trailer just makes this movie look unsettling but Nicole Kidman has said in interviews whIle working with Yorgos Lanthimos he would say to her along the lines of "lighten up, this is a comedy". You didn't get a black comedy feel from it though?

It didn't feel like a comedy throughout most of the film.  There were lines and situations that were meant to be funny but didn't land.  Not wanting to spoil it but there's a line about tasting someone's tart that should have gotten a laugh.  Instead the audience seemed  more uncomfortable than in tune with the movie.  It may be that it was all played so somber that we didn't get the comedy.  By the time we get near the end and a dark scene is played in a comedic manner, it's a little late to fully shift sensibilities. 

9 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

It didn't feel like a comedy throughout most of the film.  There were lines and situations that were meant to be funny but didn't land.  Not wanting to spoil it but there's a line about tasting someone's tart that should have gotten a laugh.  Instead the audience seemed  more uncomfortable than in tune with the movie.  It may be that it was all played so somber that we didn't get the comedy.  By the time we get near the end and a dark scene is played in a comedic manner, it's a little late to fully shift sensibilities. 

Agreed. I found The Lobster to be quite funny, but I didn't think the humor in this one worked, even in a dark way.  I only saw it a few hours ago so I haven't completely settled on how I feel about it overall, but I definitely wouldn't described it as a "comedy."

Curious to hear others' thoughts on the latest clusterf-ck by Yorgos Lanthimos. :)

I'm a big fan of Lanthimos' work (specifically, Dogtooth and The Lobster). I almost didn't see this one because I thought it might be too disturbing, but I'm glad I did. I was  completely tense - and transfixed - throughout the film. It had a lot of the same characteristics as his other films (elements of black comedy; characters delivering their lines in a slightly stilted, robotic manner), but this one almost felt like a horror movie. The score really helped ramp up the tension. I thought the acting was all superb, but the real revelation was Barry Keoghan as creepy teen Martin. (For those of you saw Dunkirk, he also played George, the kid on the boat.) 

Did anyone have any thoughts as to why the wife never got sick? And what did you take away from the very last scene? (I felt like I might have been missing something.)

Edited by sweetcookieface