Type keyword(s) to search

In this episode of Parts Unknown, Bourdain travels to Singapore, known to some as “Disneyland with the death penalty.” He keeps coming back for the food, he says—only here does one find the singular, exquisite mix of Chinese, Indian, and Malay dubbed “indigenous fusion” by local chefs. Over several meals in homes and at hawker stalls, the conversation turns to Singapore’s government; here residents seem to have traded civil liberties for a booming economy. Bourdain asks an unavoidable question: “Is free speech overrated?”

Yeah, that was hilarious, as was the three of them saying that they know how to do laundry in theory but they hadn't actually done it themselves!

I couldn't figure out if the people he talked to had drunk the kool-aid or just didn't want to get in trouble for criticizing the government.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I couldn't figure out if the people he talked to had drunk the kool-aid or just didn't want to get in trouble for criticizing the government.

I took a closer look at some of the facial expressions in response to Tony and I'd vote for the latter.  I don't see how he could have gotten any genuine response out of any of them even if he really tried.  I really didn't love this episode.  He's been to Singapore before not that long ago and truthfully I felt he handled it better then.  I thought this was just blah.

I think Tony is more careful now talking politics in non democratic countries. I remember that an American -Iranian  Washington Post journalist who was on the show when he visited Iran ended up getting arrested after the show aired. He was mildly critical of the Iranian government. He was a prisoner for a long time.

• Love 2