Type keyword(s) to search

Cersei Baratheon: Attempting To Absorb Her Twin Postpartum

• Start Topic

And on re-watch last night I think I understand Margaery better in that scene - my read is that once M saw that Cersei was trying on a new costume (colored in sweetness and light), Margaery sort of decided to see how far she could push Cersei, which is when the "sister" line came out, followed by the "Mom"-bomb.

I think you're probably right, WS. Margaery's too cagey to have forgotten or disregarded that moment when Cersei told her about the Rains of Castamere.  Whereas I think Margaery was willing to be a friend to Cersei, Cersei greeted that attempt "You look radiant!" "Fucker.  How dare you?  I'll kill your whole family! Die!Die!Die!Die!" is not ground you can really back away from in Cersei's case.  Therefore they both had to know that Cersei was up to something in those moments.  

Margaery just decided to twist the knife as payment for the earlier "I compliment your beauty and you...threaten to have my entire family killed....how...proportionate...?" nastiness. 

I still don't think that Cersei has any story left to play out.  I could be wrong, but she's still leading the death pool for me.  We saw that scene of Margaery bringing Tommen...who seems sweet and good...over to her side by making sure he's thoroughly besotted.  Cersei's lost everything and for whatever reason, she seems to truly believe Tyrion killed Joffrey.  

Or she doesn't believe it but figures that in her savage grief someone will pay, and she's hated Tyrion her entire life, so it might as well be Tyrion. 

The worst thing about Cersei -- and Jebus is this saying a lot -- is that she's forty-year-old woman who still sees Tyrion as the person who "killed my mother".  She's never incorporated an adult woman's understanding of childbirth, or even her own experience as a mother, who so fiercely loves her children.  She's never absorbed any maturing influence and she still just hates him as the thing that killed her mother.  

So after Oberyn's story, I started to wonder if Cersei even really believes that Tyrion had Joffrey killed.  Or Sansa, or any of the other characters she's said should die, but rather, I think she's just striking out in her emotional agony and figures she might feel slightly better if she has the heads of the people she so despises.  Like the worlds grisliest consolation prize.  

• Love 3

If Watching Cersei Slurp Water Off a Floor was a sport, I would at least be in the running for a spot on the national team.

Putting aside what I consider the ridiculous plot machination(s) that got her there, that was deeply, deeply satisfying.

• Love 5

No shit, WS, that was perhaps the best part of what I felt was a supremely effed up episode. But watching Cersei slurp water off a dirty floor? Priceless! what sayeth that about us though?

• Love 1
But watching Cersei slurp water off a dirty floor? Priceless! what sayeth that about us though?

It sayeth that we're normal, well-adjusted people, veritable pillars of society, except for a bit of gleeful schadenfreude.

I don't want to lose Lena, though. She's been nailing her scenes to the freakin' wall!

• Love 4