Type keyword(s) to search

Hunted... in other countries

loki567

Since I've been enjoying the USA version of Hunted so much, I thought I'd check out the UK version to see the similarities and differences. A few things through episode three: 

• The contestants have back-and-forth conversations with their cameramen. I think it works better than just using confessional cams. 
  • I feel like I have a fuller picture of the personalities of the contestants than their American counterparts. Where the USA version is fixated on the strategies between the hunters and the hunted, the UK version gives more character moments and focuses in on the psychological aspects of being on the run.
  • I appreciate there's more focus on the unsettling nature of the show and the surveillance state in general. The first contestant specifically talks about his fear of government overreach and wanting to prove to his children that they can avoid detection if need be. 
  • Generally, things feel more on an even ground than the USA version. It's been said before, but the American show feels like it's glorifying law enforcement. The UK version seems to have more sympathy for the hunted. Much less of the, "we need to make this people look good," for the Hunters. 

Basically I think even you don't like the CBS show but like the concept of Hunted, you should try the BBC version out. 

• Love 1

I feel like all the American reality shows (I've watched anyway) are hyper concerned with not showing or hearing from the crew. I don't know why it would be so bad to hear questions from a producer or cameraman and hear them answered back by the contestants. In this American version and other shows it's like some big secret they're there. Rather deceptive. 

So, yeah, the UK version sounds much better.

Funny thing in trying to create a suspension of disbelief for American audiences, it's usually just makes things feel stilted and fake. The UK contestants having a back-and-forth with their cameramen feels more natural. And the camera will occasionally show the cameramen if they're riding in the car or something. 

You can find episodes of the show on BBC's website but you need a UK IP address. 

• Love 1