Type keyword(s) to search

Becoming Warren Buffett

• Start Topic

A profile of Warren Buffett, CEO of the holding company Berkshire Hathaway, includes a look at his career as an investor and a philanthropist, and recollections of his personal and professional lives while speaking to high-school students in his native Omaha.

Premieres Monday, January 30, at 10 PM ET.

I loved this documentary and found it really heartening in today's climate to see an incredibly wealthy man who feels an obligation to help others with his wealth.  Plus, the moment in front of congress was just glorious.  Truly, this is not even attempting to be a hard-hitting documentary but there's no reason it should be.  Buffet is ethical, good at his job, and he dearly loved his first wife, Susie.  We weren't expecting to sit there crying over the beauty of a deep and abiding love when we tuned in, but my husband I both boo hoo'd up a storm when the film covered Susie's death.  It is rare to see a powerful man, in America, so willing to admit that the great love of his life was one of two important, all-defining events in his life:  being born and meeting Susie.  

Plus, his children are all delightful human beings who also approach great wealth with humility and decency.  I do agree with the homepage piece, you won't get a sense for how Buffet achieved such tremendous success but in turbulent times being exposed to a billionaire with to-the-bone decency was a tonic.  I'm sorely tempted to watch it again, just so I can feel better about humanity.   There are no villains in this but really unassuming people willing to behave with such decency it becomes interchangeable with heroism.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 6