Type keyword(s) to search

Ivar The Boneless: This Guy

• Start Topic

As a history major who specialized in Russian history I was very unaware of Viking history aside from the fact of the raids on England.

I have been reading up on Ivar the Boneless and am fascinated about him and his life.

• Love 1
On 5/4/2016 at 1:37 AM, Lillybee said:

I have been reading up on Ivar the Boneless and am fascinated about him and his life.

I read somewhere that the word for boneless was almost identical to the word for despicable, and that since the oldest copy of the saga was written in the 13th century, it's possible that boneless may not be accurate.  Sadly, I can't find the source today.

Also, my husband and I, and our daughter, all have ehlers danlos.  I find the theory that perhaps that was the source of the nickname possible. We can all three mimic circus contortionists. I think the presentation of Ivar as a cripple is totally wrong.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Swim mom said:

I read somewhere that the word for boneless was almost identical to the word for despicable, and that since the oldest copy of the saga was written in the 13th century, it's possible that boneless may not be accurate.  Sadly, I can't find the source today.

Also, my husband and I, and our daughter, all have ehlers danlos.  I find the theory that perhaps that was the source of the nickname possible. We can all three mimic circus contortionists. I think the presentation of Ivar as a cripple is totally wrong.

I read that too.  And I agree Ivar probably wasn't crippled.  That his actions were indeed despicable thus the name the Saxons gave him. 

But people have thought "boneless" was the translation for centuries and it makes things more dramatic on this show to just go with that.  Historic drama has to be balanced between the history and the drama so if it is still being debated some historically go with the more dramatic approach I guess.

• Love 1

Right now, Ivar is my favorite character in the show.  Some love him, some hate him, some are disgusted by what he does.  Floki is a close second.  I wish Bjorn was given more focus, but the writer seems to be taking his character a little slow with the 1st two episodes.

• Love 2

I will admit that Ivar is a fascinating character, and all of that is due to Alex Høgh, who plays him with considerable charisma.  I don't like him, but I can't fully hate him either.

On 1/24/2017 at 11:29 PM, green said:

But people have thought "boneless" was the translation for centuries and it makes things more dramatic on this show to just go with that.  Historic drama has to be balanced between the history and the drama so if it is still being debated some historically go with the more dramatic approach I guess.

According to Wikipedia, he may have been called "the Hated" which in Latin was exosus which a scribe could have misinterpreted as ex os "without bones" although he was called "Boneless" in Norse sources.

They established that he can't have sex so I doubt they'll connect him to the Uí Ímair dynasty.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Lugal said:

I will admit that Ivar is a fascinating character, and all of that is due to Alex Høgh, who plays him with considerable charisma.  I don't like him, but I can't fully hate him either.

According to Wikipedia, he may have been called "the Hated" which in Latin was exosus which a scribe could have misinterpreted as ex os "without bones" although he was called "Boneless" in Norse sources.

They established that he can't have sex so I doubt they'll connect him to the Uí Ímair dynasty.

Thanks for the details above.  Appreciate it.

Except the historical Ivar apparently did father children.  In fact one of the posters on this board is apparently related to Ragnar through Ivar's line according to research she received.

• Love 2

They meaning the showrunners, which I guess would be Michael Hirst. It was in the episode where the brothers were sharing Margrethe before Ubbe married her.  Ivar wanted his turn and was unable to do the deed, and Margrethe had to promise never to say anything out of fear for her life.

• Love 2