Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Fantastic (2016)

Artsda
  • Start Topic

In the forests of the Pacific Northwest, a father devoted to raising his six kids with a rigorous physical and intellectual education is forced to leave his paradise and enter the world, challenging his idea of what it means to be a parent.

(Warning trailer gives entire plot away)

I saw this today and really liked it. The singing/family group scenes were well done and I loved how smarter the kids were compared to the Nike boys.

I see why all the award hype for Viggo, he did great.

• Love 2

I really liked it too. The acting by all is very good. It's moving, tender, funny and poignant almost all at the same time rather than successively. I didn't feel that any character was caricatural, which was another pleasant surprise. Even with the six kids, I felt that we saw enough to understand the personality of each one. I also love the dialogues, such as the scene where the father and one of her daughter are talking about the book she's reading: I don't want to be too specific so as not to ruin it, but I like how she pushes her - "interesting" to describe it is not allowed, describing the plot is not an analysis, and in the end she gives a beautiful analysis of the book and why she finds it both fascinating and disturbing.

• Love 1

I really liked this movie as well.  I especially liked the fact that there were no "bad guys"; everyone had good intentions and sincerely wanted what was best for the kids.  I don't generally like sequels and wouldn't suggest one here, but I can't help thinking about how the kids would adapt to being among other students, and whether they would be skipped a number of grades given how academically advanced they were compared to the average American student (unfortunately).

• Love 1

What I really liked about the movie was that while Viggo's children were culturally cut off, it didn't paint it in terms of black and while.  Yes they were clueless  about some social interactions, but at the same time their minds were expansive and curious and open to many things that the material and social media saturated kids of his sister were not.

The final resolution was nice, and somehow it didn't seem sugarcoated.

• Love 1