Type keyword(s) to search

On 10/25/2016 at 0:41 AM, cyberfruit said:

I am so ready for this episode. I was raised in Houston, and I miss the food so much. Whenever someone asks me what's there to do in the city, my answer is always, "Eat!"

I agree!  My last trip to Houston this summer, I planned most of my days around what & where I was gonna eat.   Down to "wake me up with hot Shipley's Donuts tomorrow".   lol 

• Love 1

Very happy with this episode. I give my home state a lot of shit (and much of it is deserved), but if there's one thing I'm thankful for growing up in the Houston suburbs, it's how I was raised in a very racially, ethnically, and religiously diverse environment. No one blinks at Black folks eating at the pho spot up the street, no one blinks at Latinos shopping at the South Asian markets, no one blinks at Indian people ordering the spiciest salsa at the taco stand, and no one blinks at White kids having sweet sixteens' with seemingly the teen contingent of the UN. I believe that experience has made it very easy for me to be able to find common ground with people from all walks of life.  

So, thanks Houston -- Thanks for the good food and the (mostly) good people. Texas' government can forever kiss my ass, though (and I need the emboldened confederate flag wavers in my home town to chill the fuck out).

Edited by cyberfruit
  • Love 5

I feel the same way about growing up in California. It was totally normal for the white, black, Mexican, and Asian kids to hang out together. The suburban street where I lived was a mixture. The family on my right was Filipino, the family on my left had an Italian dad and a Japanese mom, the family next to them was gay, the family across the street on the right was Mexican, the family across the street on the left was black, and the family across the street between them was white. The adults on our street had a mixture of professions - one a lawyer, one did construction (we loved that because he had a pickup truck and he would let us pile in the back), one was an engineer, one was an elementary school teacher, one worked for the post office (we always saw his mail truck in front of the house when he stopped at home to have lunch), one was in the Navy, etc. And as Bourdain likes to point out so often, food brought us together. Everybody loves lumpia!

• Love 3