Type keyword(s) to search

Media Thread

I wasn't feeling very creative with the title but I wanted to share this.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/11/honey-g-x-factor-blackface-novelty-rapper-post-brexit-uk

But then what is audible in his work is humility and respect for the music. There’s no trace of either trait in Gilford’s act.

“Just a little bit of harmless fun” is the go-to of those crossing a line predicated on the teller not being the butt of their own jokes.

Honey G’s tinfoil gold tracksuit, shades and florid hand gestures betray what the whole act is about: a caricature of blackness as stupid and illicit. If it is not how Gilford herself intended it, it’s certainly the subtext of her affectations. In a Sun exclusive quoting Stephanie Jones, a former university friend of Gilford’s, we can clearly hear the racist undertones of Honey’s performances coming through. Jones “reveals” that “the kind of persona [Gilford] is putting on on The X Factor is very dumbed down”. Gilford is actually “very well spoken” and “smart” and “comes from a decent background”, as though blackness is the antithesis of all listed above. Is that Gilford’s intent or merely her audience’s response to her act? Whichever it is, it remains offensive.

Edited by aradia22

Stuart Heritage on Honey G. God, I wish he'd liveblogged this series. 

This doesn’t mean that I liked Honey G. Never in a trillion years – even if it cured all illness, reversed Brexit and brought Alan Rickman back to life – would I willingly listen to Honey G’s recorded output. Because I already know what it’d sound like. It’d sound like a recently divorced recruitment consultant from Berkshire trying to drunkenly displace their pain by shouting the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme tune at a policeman outside a Nando’s on a Thursday night.

On 10/2/2018 at 4:33 AM, KWalkerInc said:

Sharon Osbourne was scheduled to appear on the live shows (some sites said as a "neutral fifth judge," others said she was filling in for Robbie Williams when he toured), but she now is not returning.

https://people.com/tv/sharon-osbourne-leaves-uk-x-factor-after-criticizing-child-contestants-interview/

I heard the Stern interview and she was very candid on her feelings regarding the contestants. I was surprised she still had her job after that - but not surprised now to see she’s not coming back. I wonder what they’ll do while Rob’s touring, if someone else will come in, or if they’ll just go with the judges they have.