Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Hanoi

How messed up is the world that I had to Google what tragedy it was that preempted this from airing as the season 7 finale. It was the shootings in Orlando.

I get that Tony loves Vietnam but other than the Obama interview it could have been any of the gazillion episodes he has down here. They could have taken that opening where Tony motorbikes from multiple episodes.

Though I do love Vietnam.

4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

How messed up is the world that I had to Google what tragedy it was that preempted this from airing as the season 7 finale. It was the shootings in Orlando.

According to Bourdain's tweet on June 30, the Buenos Aires episode was supposed to be the S7 finale. Due to the Orlando shootings, he said that the Buenos Aires episode would be rescheduled to be part of S8.

In addition, the Vietnam episode was filmed near the end of May so they wouldn't have had enough time to edit it for the end of S7 which was only a month later. According to this tweet back in May, the White House told journalists that the Vietnam episode was intended to air in September.

Ah I knew one episode was postponed and I thought it was this because there was lots of press after the visit.

At least now no one needs to Google when Buenos Aires airs but this episode was crazy boring. The only joy I got was when when people would occasionally look into the camera during the Obama/Bourdain restaurant scene when they were clearly told nor to react. 

Also, i get what they were going for by showing them renting out the huge French ferry for a handful of people about tourism but that also goes back into Bourdan as a westerner he sees signs of cars, chains, tourists as a problem. The Vietnamese see it as progress. Cars are more prevelant because more Vietnamese can now afford them. And I straight up found his questions about the "American War Museum" should somehow not need to be seen by future generations straight up offensive.

• Love 1

I thought that they would put the Buenos Aires episode early in S8 (just because it's leftover from S7), but it looks like it's going to be the second to last episode this season. I'm not surprised that they decided to use Vietnam as the season opener since there was so much publicity about it when they filmed.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I thought that they would put the Buenos Aires episode early in S8 (just because it's leftover from S7), but it looks like it's going to be the second to last episode this season. I'm not surprised that they decided to use Vietnam as the season opener since there was so much publicity about it when they filmed.

Also, because of the two sentences Tony spoke about the nonsense of wall building and how he thinks US politics could be improved if more US citizens had passports and traveled amd it would change the world and Obama agreed i think CNN wanted to air this outside of October to be fair! Its the other reason I thought this episode was supposed to air in May.

@ElectricBoogaloo since we are the only people who seem to care, I might just message you my thoughts on the next episode. Which hasn't he also done Nashville before?

Edited by biakbiak