Type keyword(s) to search

Deadliest Catch: Dungeon Cove - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I liked it well enough. It reminded me of the earlier DC episodes (when they weren't as staged/scripted as much).

they use such tiny pots! And the boats are so small too! I'm so used the bigger boats on the main show. 

not a fan of the closing song though. The voice was a bit grating.

• Love 2

I enjoyed it (so far) too but the lead ups to it (The specials) just kept showing the same things over and over.  Too much.  I think the family dynamics are going to give the show a different feel from DC as well as the 'interviews' within the episodes.  

And geez, those vessels are so small in comparison to the DC vessels.

It also seems that the US Coast Guard is going to be seen more and I enjoy that (not for rescues) but rather, showing what they do. 

• Love 3
On September 14, 2016 at 2:56 PM, walnutqueen said:

The danger, loss of life, and constant need for Coast guard support makes me wonder how much longer this fishery will hang on to this derby-style approach.

Isn't that one of the reasons why king crab, etc. fishing switched away from derby style? Safety issues? Besides the decline in crab numbers, also. I can't remember if it was stated on the main show or not. I only jumped on during season 6 or 7. 

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if they keep the derby style.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

Not liking the father as much this episode. Complaining why his son wasn't out there risking his life in obviously bad weather for some crab. Captain Kenny did the smart thing and just waited for the bad weather to blow over. There's no way I'd have tried passing through the bar with those waves and weather.

I'd say Captain Kenny is my favorite out of the bunch so far. I also like how he really wants to be there for his daughter as much as he can. We've seen how the crabbing lifestyle can wreck havoc on your homelike on the mother show.

and sheesh, I can't imagine seeing some dead bodies at the age of 8/9. 

Lastly, one thing I'm digging about the show is that the lady deckhands (I think there's two of them, the captain's sister and another one on his bro's boat--I think?) are treated as typical deckhands, unlike on the main show where when Mandy or that other lady came on, the producers/whoever were pushing the whole, 'she's a girl!!! There's a girl on the boat!!! Can she handle all the manly men stuff the men have to do????wooOooOoo!!!!!?!!?!.' I like how they're there doing there job, and there's no nonsense to be had about it.

Not sure if I miss seeing a crab count near the end of the episodes like on the mother show. I know, it's a different show, but it would make more sense to have a crab count on this show due to the derby style, instead of the quota stuff which renders the crab count to being practically useless because you can't compare the boats when they all have different quotas to fulfill. 

On second thought, I don't really miss it. I do hope they give us the salary numbers the deckhands earn though at the end of the season.

• Love 1

I would like to see a crab count and salary numbers, just out of curiosity.

I do like Kenny too and I really think he was the smart one not to go out.

I thought there was only one female deckhand.  The sister.  I like her style of just being a deckhand like everyone else on the boat.  No special treatment like on the Northwestern.

• Love 1

Yikes, no posts.  I watched the On Deck version tonight.  I find them more interesting.   I thought it was a really good episode and I'm beginning to get to know fishermen and their families better. 

Thank you USCG for all you do!

• Love 2

As a massive storm assaults Oregon's crab grounds, the fleet gets devastating news about one of their own.  Every captain on the water must consider whether the risk of fishing through deadly seas is worth the reward.

Nice ending episode. That deckhand is lucky he didn't lose his arm. Actually, I wonder how long he's worked for Ripka Sr. (Unless they're related and I totally missed it), because I honestly don't know how he gets away with talking to the captain like he does. He sounds like whiney teenager when he talks to Kenny's dad, and I find it very enternaining. I just don't understand how Ripka Sr. lets it fly (he doesn't really seem to mind??), because he'd probably get booted off the boat if he was working for one of the Alaskan captains and was acting that way.

Then again, Ripka Sr. kind of deserves the attitude because he's not nice.

I do like the show, and especially the insight into the families and what they go through, but gosh, it seems like there's so much 'filler'.

And edited to add:  Why the heck did none of the crew, including Ashston not have a life vest on when they were doing that dangerous crossing of the bar?  Notice that the guy who was filming had his on.  Just stupid IMO.

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 1