Type keyword(s) to search

Cosmos: Recommended Documentaries, Books, Talks ...

Youtube channel: Sixty Symbols - Cool and compact videos by the Uni of Nottingham about physics and astronomy.

I'll second this recommendation, along with another channel from the same team,  Periodic Videos, which is primarily about chemistry.  I don't subscribe to either channel, but I do subscribe to a third sister channel, Numberphile.  Occasionally, some videos from this group of channels are cross-referenced in others, or pop up as recommendations. 

Which is how my attention was originally brought to this video, which is just about the charter book of the Royal Society.  And this video was posted about a month before Cosmos started, so I was already aware of the Royal Society before Tyson brought up Hooke, Halley, and Newton.

• Love 1

Carl Sagan was a great populizer of science.  From the same time period, I would recommend highly the essays of another populizer, Stephen Jay Gould.  He wrote columns for Natural History and his work was collected in books, one of which is titled The Flamingo's Smile.  He also wrote books separate from his columns, such as Ontogeny and Phylogeny and The Mismeasure of Man.

Gould was a paleontologist and studied evolution.  He died in 2002.

• Love 1