Type keyword(s) to search

Pete's Dragon (2016)

SeanC
  • Start Topic

I had never heard of the 1977 Pete's Dragon before the trailers for this film came out, but from what I gather, this is a pretty marked departure in story and tone anyway.  Either way, I have no positive or negative view of the original inspiration.

Anyway:  this is quite possibly my favourite film of the year so far, and provides the late rescuer (qualitatively speaking; it doesn't seem on course to light the box office on fire) for this rather underwhelming summer movie season that I had hoped Suicide Squad would be.  This is everything a family film should be.  Focused on its characters first and foremost, integrating its effects very smoothly into the environment, not afraid to just let a quiet and emotional scene play out (I think Matt Zoller Seitz commented that one of the things he most appreciated about this movie was the quiet), well-acted by all involved, and really making the majestic moments soar.

I'll say in particular, add two more kids of note to our current golden age of child actors, as both Oakes Fegley (as the titular Pete) and Oona Laurence are superb here.  Even Karl Urban's antagonist, while initially sort of cut from the cloth of the stock kids movie eco-villain/hunter, isn't all that bad in the end.  It's a very humane story.

And I adore the soundtrack, between the new music and the score (I've been listening to "The Bravest Boy I've Ever Met" many times since I got back from the theatre).

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I had never heard of the 1977 Pete's Dragon before the trailers for this film came out, but from what I gather, this is a pretty marked departure in story and tone anyway.

How old are you?

Because as someone tiptoeing towards 40, if you lived through the mid-80s and your family owned a VCR (not a ubiquitous thing), you ended up plenty familiar with Disney's 70s live-action films.  

Watcher in the Woods, anyone?

Yeah, you're a touch too young.  The original, while having a great cast, and one really great song, is not exactly a classic for the ages.

From the reviews, they REALLY picked the right people to remake it.

• Love 1

I vaguely remember seeing the original Pete's Dragon years ago, but it didn't leave much of an impression besides one particular song (the one the villain sang.)

As for this film, I thought it was solid enough, if a bit quite and simple on some levels.  It didn't hold any surprises, but I enjoyed the characters and actors enough.  I like that there wasn't a real villain.  Gavin was wrong, but he wasn't evil, but just let his paranoia, ignorance and fears get the better of him, and seemed to realize the error of his ways in the nick of time.  Plus, I refuse to hate Karl Urban!  The kids were pretty good, Robert Redford turned in solid veteran work, and Bryce Dallas Howard was great.  Did feel like Wes Bentley didn't have much to do, but I'm just glad he's getting work again.

I did laugh anytime Isiah Whitlock Jr. showed up as the Sheriff, because I'm so use to him as Clay Davis from The Wire, that I kept waiting for this to turn into a PG-13 or R film, where his characters goes "A dragon?!  Shiiiiiiiiiiit!!"

Loved the New Zealand location as always. 

Overall, I do prefer The Jungle Book out of this year's live action Disney remakes, but I'm glad I checked this out.

• Love 1

Saw it with the family today and we all loved it. The original was never really a favorite of mine, and I don't think it's held up well, but we thoroughly enjoyed this. Agree with the reviewers who enjoyed how it just let scenes unfold quietly, and that there wasn't a true villain, just a flawed person who made a few wrong decisions. 

• Love 1