Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Requiem for a Gleet

Another Al-lite episode, but I enjoyed this more than episode 3 because there was less Cy/EB and more Doc.

I loved that we found out that Ellsworth, in addition to being a mensch, is a genuine hero, who rescued trapped miners in Chicago, and that he loathes Wolcott and anything to do with George Hearst. He was stellar when he was debunking the false rumours to Alma, too.

Speaking of Alma, her green dress was to-die-for gorgeous! I know she's a 'difficult woman' and can be mean, but I can't help but admire her gumption at staying in the camp even though her affair with Bullock is over. Watching her toy with the toady EB about the camp being in peril and her offering to buy the hotel was delicious.

Cy sure is making some evil deals with Wolcott/Hearst. The men's attitude towards the 'celestial prostitutes', who 'don't require much upkeep' was chilling. I enjoyed the contrast between Jarry's fulsome enjoyment of his bath and associated 'entertainment' at the Bella Union, and Wolcott's distant coldness with the women at the Chez Ami. Stephen Tobolowsky is always terrific, and as Jarry he doesn't disappoint.

Miss Is and Silas Adams are an interesting pairing. I'm not sure why she told him that Alma is threatening her life, though.

As for the main plot of poor Al's kidney stones, ouch! Dan and Johnny tried their best to keep away all the people who wanted to discuss business with Al, but they just kept coming (EB and his 'scores', Cloth-Ear wanting to cut Al in on a robbery, Commissioner Jarry, Wu worrying about the San Francisco cocksuckah). And this was all in a single day - I guess there's never a dull moment in Deadwood! Seeing Dan weeping over Al's desperate condition and Trixie so upset was really moving, not to mention the doc in anguish that he might kill Al with the surgery. What a relief when Al finally succeeded in pissing. The overhead shot of him lying on the bed surrounded by his four closest associates - Doc, Dan, Johnny and Trixie - was just fantastic. He really is surrounded by people who love him.

• Love 3
On 12/27/2017 at 6:02 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Does anyone know what Ellsworth is wearing in his lapel? Looks like horsehair.

Do you mean like in this photo? I have no idea, but I found the costume designer, Janie Bryant, on Twitter (@JanieBryant) and have asked her! Will let you know if I get a reply.

ellsworth_whitney.jpg

Edited by purist
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I found something similar : rustic wedding feather boutonniere

I like them! I hope they become a "thing" as flowers in lapels can get droopy or die before an event (wedding for instance) is over. I wish more men wore them, especially like the ones that you posted a link to. My SIL ties her own flies for fly fishing. I should ask her to make one or me to give as a gift (when I'm in the gift giving mood lol). 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

I like them! I hope they become a "thing" as flowers in lapels can get droopy or die before an event (wedding for instance) is over. I wish more men wore them, especially like the ones that you posted a link to. My SIL ties her own flies for fly fishing. I should ask her to make one or me to give as a gift (when I'm in the gift giving mood lol). 

I'd wear them myself, if I ever wore a coat or a jacket.  I have a couple of cool vintage lapel pins and think they are awesome.  Brooches, too.  Wish they'd all make a comeback.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I'd wear them myself, if I ever wore a coat or a jacket.  I have a couple of cool vintage lapel pins and think they are awesome.  Brooches, too.  Wish they'd all make a comeback.

Great minds think alike. I have many too and am on the front of helping them to make a comeback. 

• Love 1